Anyone ever roll over a tractor?

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #21  
Probably the most scary rollover I had was on a Honda 400AT with a sprayer on the back. I was spraying around the edge of a cornfield and the front tire hit a hole hidden in the grass. It threw me off the lower side, and here come the atv. All I could do to avoid getting run over was to roll through some thorn bushes myself ahead of the atv. I think it rolled side over side twice before coming to rest on it's wheels. The 15 gallon sprayer was almost full at the time, I think it saved it from getting crushed. A few scratches on the 4 wheeler and a lot of scratches on me, we were alright. I had to figure out how to get the thing back up the hill it rolled down. It's been probably 7 or 8 years ago, I think I ended up backing it up the hill since I had the weight of the sprayer on there.

2 other scares was mowing on my 855. I have a ditch I used to mow along. I couldn't mow down in it because the banks were too steep. On one side was a slope, not a real bad one but a slope. I mowed it sideways along the ditch all the time. Well, except once. I decided to change the mowing pattern to get a better cut. I got to one point on the hill going up it and I lost traction. I only had 2wd and diff lock with turfs. Ended up backing the thing in the ditch with the front wheels in the air. Luckily no damage to me or machine. I pulled it out with our 6410 and then when and got the blade on the 6410. Now I can mow and whole ditch since it is now flat bottom and there is no longer a bank.

The other scare on the 855 was down by my mailbox. I mowed this spot for years, hanging the deck out over the ditch, but for some reason this time the dirt gave way and the rear wheel slide off in the ditch. The mower deck had it hung from going on over. I was more worried bout getting it out without rolling it. Managed to pull it backwards and uphill a bit. Once the wheel was out of the ditch it was fine. I weedeat and push mow that part now.

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #22  
Happened twice with my JD 750. First time I was backing up. rear tire went over a leaf covered stump while other tire sank into a depression. It was like slow motion. At first I could not believe that my tractor was about to go over so my mind said"this can't be happening" instead of "stop". It took just long enough while my mind play was happening for it to go over and I sort of jumped/got thrown off the tractor landing on my feet. While I was looking at my JD on its side, I still couldn't believe it. Second time happened while I was dismounting. This particular JD series has its shift mounted on the floor between your legs. My foot hit the shift lever and the tractor backed over a rock and there she was again on her side. This time I thought this was so comical, I took pictures, righted the tractor and went back to work. I'm a little more careful these days.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 901
   / Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #23  
I was one of the lucky ones,I was going horizontal on a hill it seemed safe with widened axles , suddenly my upper wheel ran over a hump my lower fell simultaneously fell in a low slag in the ground , it tipped my instinct from riding 4 wheeler for years was steer down the hill it worked I goose the accelerator and steered straight down and it went down to all 4 s. I don't push the envelope any longer.

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #24  
Happened twice with my JD 750. First time I was backing up. rear tire went over a leaf covered stump while other tire sank into a depression. It was like slow motion. At first I could not believe that my tractor was about to go over so my mind said"this can't be happening" instead of "stop". It took just long enough while my mind play was happening for it to go over and I sort of jumped/got thrown off the tractor landing on my feet. While I was looking at my JD on its side, I still couldn't believe it. Second time happened while I was dismounting. This particular JD series has its shift mounted on the floor between your legs. My foot hit the shift lever and the tractor backed over a rock and there she was again on her side. This time I thought this was so comical, I took pictures, righted the tractor and went back to work. I'm a little more careful these days.
Glad you didn't get hurt, so you weren't wearing a seatbelt? Why was your bucket up so high?

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #25  
Glad you didn't get hurt, so you weren't wearing a seatbelt? Why was your bucket up so high?

This was the time when I was hopping off the tractor and accidently kicked the shift lever into reverse on the dismount. The bucket appears higher than it was when it was level but that is not the deciding factor of why it went over. I do not wear a seatbelt on this tractor ever. Its so narrow that your head would hit the ground if it did roll over. Had I been wearing a seatbelt the first time it went over, my head would have been bashed in on a rock adjacent to the tractor when it flipped. When I drive my bil's 5000 series JD, I would not think to not wear the belt.

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #26  
This is sort of along those lines. I once rolled a Western Star with a flatbed trailer loaded with lumber. It was a beautiful spring day in April in Southern Ohio. The main road was closed and the alternate road was narrow, lots of twists and turns, and the wind was blowing at about 30mph, with gusts to about 45. I had just turned a corner and was rolling down a bit of a slope when I came out from behind some trees. At that moment the wind gusted, and pushed the truck over about a foot. Normally that won't mean a thing, just correct and carry on, but in this case the steer tire dropped off the blacktop and onto the grass shoulder. It was a very soft spongy shoulder that dropped immediately into a 3 foot deep ditch. It felt like some demon had just grabbed the wheel from my hands as it spun to the right. I did manage to get a hold of the wheel and bring the tractor back onto the blacktop and felt I'd escaped when I looked in the mirror and could see the trailer, right side in the ditch and twisting. I tried to turn the truck left, virtually diagonally across the road to pull the trailer out, and could see the trailer twisting even more. The trailer twisted enough that it rolled to it's side, taking the tractor with it. The roll was so slow, or really felt slow. The lumber was scattered everywhere, the truck on a 45 across the road and no injuries. When the truck was later rolled on its feet again it was just scratched a bit, and passengers mirror had been folded flat against the door, the glass was not broken. That was a true "pucker moment"

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #27  
   / Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #28  
Thankfully, no. I would like to thank everyone for posting their stories though. It's always a good reminder to pay attention and don't get complacent.

/ Anyone ever roll over a tractor? #30  
It's on green tractor talk. A John Deere owners forum. Check out the rollover thread going on.

Kind of sad that we're not allowed to post links for the purpose of edification and safety