Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder?

/ Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder? #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Yesterday, I noticed a chipper/shredder in use like nothing I'd ever seen before, but I was just passing by and didn't have the camera with me. So today I went back over there, and wouldn't you know it, it was down for service. They were replacing some of the "hammers". So this picture is of the hopper with it tilted over for them to get at the hammers underneath. In operation, it's on top and the entire hopper is turning. I'd guess the hopper to be about 10' in diameter.

Attachments

• 397865-P3250002.JPG
    397865-P3250002.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 718
   / Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder?
This is a picture (not a very good one) of what's under the hopper and those little things sitting on the edge of the platform are the hammers they were replacing. That little motor at the front is a right fair sized Caterpillar diesel, but the guy there didn't know just what size it is.

Attachments

• 397866-P3250003.JPG
    397866-P3250003.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 503
Needless to say, they don't feed the limbs (and whole trees) into the hopper by hand. This is what they were using to feed it.

Attachments

• 397871-P3250005.JPG
    397871-P3250005.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 501
   / Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder? #4  
Yea they call those hammer mills. We are in excavating and one of our land clears uses a hammer mill, the same brand as in the picture I believe. These machines are fairly efficeient believe it or not, but extremely dangerous, they have been known to regualarly throw chunks of wood 200 yards and in some cases as far as 500 yards or more. We make sure to stay clear when theres a hammer mill at work. Fun to watch tho.

Yeah, Johnno, that's what the guy called it. And I just now found that brand's web site Diamond Hammermill. I'd just never seen one before; quite a machine.

/ Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder? #7  
Next time I make it over to the recycle/compost yard, I'll try to snap a pic of the chipper they use. They limit you to 4' length on tree trunks and a 13" diameter. Boy is that thing loud when it's running.

/ Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder? #8  
Ya its a tub grinder they use here to grinde stumps,old pallets an junk that could destroy a chiper. the new way to clear land for devolopment is to feed whole trees into chiper.650hp.v12 cat motor and discharge into 40' trailers,witch feed a power plant north off here. then the grinder will eat the stumpes after we pull with excavators. stump grindings go to mulch for land scaping

/ Anyone Ever See A BIG Chipper/Shredder? #10  
Bird... I've actually seen a chipper shredder that was huge!!! They were actually feeding Live Oak trees into it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif... unfortunately no pictures.... but it made me feel inferior with my Craftsman 9Hp chipper Shredder... talk about envy!