Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before?

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before?
If you turn the gangs around and swap sides, do the scrapers unbolt to be put on the back, like they are now?

Whoops. I hadn't considered the scrapers when I guessed they were backwards. I suppose it is turned correctly. I just couldn't figure out what the 4 holes in front were for. ??????

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #12  
My best guess on he holes is that the disk didn't start life as a 3 point hitch disk. The gangs you have were the rear two gangs (I think) from a four gang disk. The holes were for the now probably long gone attachment linkage to hook them all together and allow for some pivot in a turn. Just my opinion.

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #13  
Certainly don't want to be a downer but looks like the discs are pretty well worn. Not much 'concave' left to them.

Terry

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #14  
My best guess on he holes is that the disk didn't start life as a 3 point hitch disk. The gangs you have were the rear two gangs (I think) from a four gang disk. The holes were for the now probably long gone attachment linkage to hook them all together and allow for some pivot in a turn. Just my opinion.

I agree the 3ph and top frame is/was cobbled together scrap someone had laying around. Nothing engineered about it, I would scrap it and start over.

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #15  
I agree with Soggy Bottom Outdoors. Looks like pans from a drag disc made into a 3PH. Some drag discs had a inner pivot bolt and outboard chain or strap linkages. These could be what the mount holes were used for. It looks like someone tacked it together under a tree.

Square nuts doesn't necessarily make it old. Dad had a huge stock of square hardware that he used on everything he made. I remember the day he bought a ratchet and socket set. I asked Dad what were they used for!
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #16  
Nope, in my opinion this is not a bog disk. It is a 3 point hitch double gang disk. A "gang' of disk blades has a common axle. This one has two axles thus two gangs. The bog disk that I have has two gangs, each 10 foot, one in front of the other. One angles to the right the other to the left. Front gang has scallopped blades. Takes lots of HP to handle, cuts DEEP, but in leaves the ground Rough. Yours looks like a good disk heavy built. Only my opinion and observation.

Soggy Bottom Outdoors,
To me, what you discribe above about your disc is an offset disc. Does it look like this. 4-2-13 RED Disc Sees Daylight.jpg
Do you have a photo or two of it?
hugs, Brandi

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before? #17  
MitchellB,
I would say this is a doable project for a tight budget. Change the pins and start playing with it. Change the angles of the gangs up to see what it does. With the extra gangs, you could add a second row.
3PH discs need lots of weight to penetrate. Whatever you do, beef it up to handle the weight and stress. I wouldn't back up with this disc engaged in the ground. You might bend the 3PH mounting straps into a pretzel. It looks kinda not straight as it is. Good luck and have fun.
hugs, Brandi

/ Anyone ever seen disc harrow like this before?
I got the pins changed out on the Bog Harrow yesterday. I had to drill out the old holes to 7/8" so my new lift pins would fit. I also put nearly a tube of grease in the axles and replaced one clogged zerk. I used it for the first time this morning and it works OK. It would drag the front end of the 861D Ford around a couple times when it wanted to go one way and the tractor straight, but for the most part, tracked OK. For the money I got in it, I'm happy with it, but a newer/better 4 gang disc would make me happier. When I get time, I would like to at least beef up the 3 point frame where it connects to the Harrow.