Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #111  
Yup, I worked for a computer company years ago, we had to dial into customers computers using 1200 baud, some customers only had 300 baud modems. And the computers had removable disk packs.
Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #112  
yup - remember logging onto bulletin boards with my 386sx and 2400 buad modem. When I started working for ADS then later Honeywell then Xerox, I was in the pc division repairing hardware for them and my first machine I had to take apart was a compaq lte laptop with a trackball in display panel. piece a cake. Nowadays its cheaper to replace it or send in for warranty fix and nobody has a need for a pc hardware repair guy like me.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #113  
Actually, some of us remember when local TV stations originally started broadcasting in the late '40's and early '50's. The relatives all came over to my aunt's house to watch TV in the evenings. We did have a radio, but couldn't afford a TV until about 1956. I guess we're really some of the oldest cheese!

As for computers, I learned to program in binary machine language using punch cards in the early '60's. Maybe the computer science dept. didn't want to turn out any sissy programmers that needed higher level languages, at least that's what the instructor said, but I got the idea they were just too cheap to allocate computer time on any system that would actually run FORTRAN or COBOL or whatever, to us mere students (BASIC hadn't been invented yet). We used some little IBM computer, submitted our stack of cards each afternoon and hoped the job would run successfully overnight. The next morning we got a printout of the job... either a successful run or an ABEND sheet indicating where it failed. Being a lousy typist, mine failed most of the time.

I also remember the time when some of the Computer Science upperclassmen got in hot water for using up some amount of costly mainframe time running, again by punchcards, a routine to print out a Playboy centerfold on green bar paper using the big line printer. At the time, us lowly freshmen were dazzled by their talent. Thinking back on it, those guys probably did have the programming ability for something like that, but they certainly lacked the artistic ability to transform Miss April into X's and O's.

Early 60's the IE dept owned the university's computer. Required course was fortran for all engineering students. The mainframe was a IBM 360 (not a PC) somedays it took hours to debug a program. That was because of the number of student jobs plus the administration work came. Punch cards were a bear. A couple of years after taking the programming course school decided to require a computer problem with every lab course. I did the problem, punched the cards, submitted the program and received the dreaded ABEND. After a number of card submittals with the same results went to lab assistant he worked on it for an hour could not see a problem then the Ahaw moment. I had started the cards in the wrong column. By the 70's the punch cards were eliminated and you could do direct input.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #114  
Anyone else remember having to use a generic cassette tape recorder to save their programs written in basic? You would have to press the play and record buttons at the same time and then tell the computer to save or read the program. You couldn't hear it so you would just guess when to stop recording. You could use a microphone and record yourself saying what the program was so you could put more than one on a tape a few seconds before each program.

on my timex sinclair i used a handheld microcassette recorder from radio shack :) worked fine...

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #115  
Yup, I worked for a computer company years ago, we had to dial into customers computers using 1200 baud, some customers only had 300 baud modems. And the computers had removable disk packs.
Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

anyone remember the bernouli boxes?

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #116  
Anyone else remember having to use a generic cassette tape recorder to save their programs written in basic? You would have to press the play and record buttons at the same time and then tell the computer to save or read the program. You couldn't hear it so you would just guess when to stop recording. You could use a microphone and record yourself saying what the program was so you could put more than one on a tape a few seconds before each program.
Yes when I first bought the TI99 I used the cassette recorder. TI had a nicer cassette interface, the screen told you when to start/stop the recorder and played the "program" on the computer speaker so you could hear if the computer correctly picked the end of the load program attempt. I used to use the tape counter to find multiple programs on a tape.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #118  
how about the stuff thet never really worked out. flopticals.. 2.88meg or so?

i had some somrt of high density disk drive. was external.. took something that looke dlike a 3.5 but wasn't a 3.5 disk.. can't remember the name of that junky thing but it was as slow as molassis.. jumbo drive maybee? ( wasn't a colorado product though ).

i remember when the usb external hdds first hit.. I splurged and bout a 4.3g model... ugh!!

i remember having an old iomega zip back when they were still scsi and not parallel port.

anyone use an esdi drive? ( not ide/eide etc.. ) all the weird stuff.

SLC processors.. ie.. higher instruction set on a smaller core.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #119  
I remember using a CoCo 2 with a 13" B&W TV for a display and my MFJ-1278 and TS-520S to work RTTY and packet on the ham bands.

When I got my first real PC it was an 8088-1 (10MHz) with a 32MB hard drive. In 1987 that 32MB HD cost $350!!

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #120  
I remember using a CoCo 2 with a 13" B&W TV for a display and my MFJ-1278 and TS-520S to work RTTY and packet on the ham bands.

When I got my first real PC it was an 8088-1 (10MHz) with a 32MB hard drive. In 1987 that 32MB HD cost $350!!

I had a Kantronics Kam and a TS940. I still work some Digital (psk-31, Rtty, and sometimes olivia and others) but of course with soundcard now.

James K0UA