Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish?

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #11  
Another idea would be to prime it, then paint it white, then spray the primer that she likes over the paint.

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #12  
While I hear what everyone is saying and technically agree with it. "don't use primer as a final finish". It all makes sense. Now on to real world. You asked if anyone has used primer as a final finish. Yes. About 10 years ago I painted some 20 plus foot tall steel pipe deck supports on my upper back deck rusty metal primer as they were rusty. The look today just like they did when I finished painting them over 10 years ago. I just never got around to painting them with the final finish coat as it was a huge PITA to paint them with an extended painters pole. And I never got around to doing it. Would they be even better protected if I had put the final finish coat on? Yeah without a doubt. But my Rustoleum rusty metal primer has lasted.

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish?
Another idea would be to prime it, then paint it white, then spray the primer that she likes over the paint.

It was already factory painted and then she painted it again but doesn't like the color. Too red or whatever so it's already painted. There is no Rusty Metal Primer color that I can find so I'm now looking into adding the Rustoleum clear coat. That sounds like an answer. There's 100 factory colors and she can't find what she likes. :confused3:

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #14  
It was already factory painted and then she painted it again but doesn't like the color. Too red or whatever so it's already painted. There is no Rusty Metal Primer color that I can find so I'm now looking into adding the Rustoleum clear coat. That sounds like an answer. There's 100 factory colors and she can't find what she likes. :confused3:

The clear coat over the Rusty metal primer sounds like an answer to me. :)

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #15  
I guess I didn't realize it was already painted and that you where just going to put the primer over the existing paint. In that case, you should be good with just doing that.

I've seen clear coats change the color of paints, or change the sheen. Either way, I wouldn't use it if there is paint under the primer.

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #16  
Primers and top coats...FWIW...many years ago I was introduced to Zinsser's 1-2-3 Bulls eye PRIMER...I really liked the paint and finish...I wanted to use it as the finish coat on an old asbestos tile sided house...I called the 800# on the can and was told that it could very well be used without a top coat...it was also not much longer after that they added the word "Tintable" to the label...

BTW This was better than 25 years ago the house is still there and the paint is still in good shape without any peeling, blistering or chalking etc...

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #17  
Can you paint the table with a brush versus a spray can? If so, take the rusty metal primer can lid to a paint supply and have them color and sheen match to it. Then it can be actual exterior paint. Just a thought. Jon

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #18  
I mixed 1/2 rusty metal primer with 1/2 leather brown (Rust-Oleum). Over 10 years and the bridge on my avatar still looks good.

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish?
I mixed 1/2 rusty metal primer with 1/2 leather brown (Rust-Oleum). Over 10 years and the bridge on my avatar still looks good.

Very interesting. I have passed info to wife and will advise. Also have located clear coat enamel in stock at a nearby Lowe's. Some great and knowledgeable advice in this thread.

/ Anyone ever use "Rusty Metal Primer" as a final finish? #20  
I agree with Eddie Walker. If you are spraying over and already painted surface you should be good to go without clearing over it. Also know if you spray clear over it you will most likely have a glossy finish rather than the flat appearance of the primer.