Buying Advice Anyone familiar with a Pettibone Super 4 cary all?

/ Anyone familiar with a Pettibone Super 4 cary all? #1  

coppolajc10

Tractor
ford
I'm looking at possibly buying this pettibone super 4 cary all forklift, as I'm in need of an all-terrain forklift for use as support equipment around my sawmill.

00A0A_fsIFbCAMI0F_600x450.jpg00T0T_lEpbCWGpxgU_50x50c.jpg00v0v_gk2escQ63Ml_50x50c.jpg

I think it was made in the 60's, owner wasn't sure of exact year. It has a 4 cylinder continental gas engine, 21' three stage mast, 4 wheel drive, 3 way steering, hydraulic frame levelers. It has a high and low gear that you select manually with a lever, but it is an automatic start with no clutch pedal, just one pedal for forward throttle and one pedal for reverse (and a brake pedal). I had the chance to drive it around his yard today. Started easily, smoked a little at high rpms. Brakes worked but pedal went right to the floor, maybe needs fluid or lines blead. There were at least three leaking hydraulic cylinders, one was a cylinder for tilting mast and the other two were cylinders for steering, but none of them seemed to be leaking badly. The mast cylinder had a small crack at the top that leaked some fluid when we tried picking up a 10-ton steam roller, it was not leaking much but that concerned me. By the way, it could not pick up the steam roller :laughing:. I think the crack could be welded if it were to get worse, but not 100% sure. The tires held air and had plenty of tread but were old and had many cracks in them. One other issue was that it seemed to lunge forward from a stop in high gear instead of easing forward when depressing on the forward throttle pedal (kind of like when you pop the clutch on a tractor with a clutch pedal, but not as severe of a jolt forward). Overall, it seemed to be well taken care of, but it is an older piece of equipment for sure. Owner is asking $4500, and said he would go as low as $4000 firm. Anyone have experience with these?, and if so are there any common problems I should know of and look for? Is this generally a reliable forklift and easy to maintain? How available are parts, and do parts tend to be pricey? Are parts generic or particular to pettibone? Does the asking price seem reasonable? Sorry for all the questions, any advice and information on this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

/ Anyone familiar with a Pettibone Super 4 cary all? #2  
We had two 1968 Pettibone Super 6 cary-lifts in our family construction business. I would say the size up from the picture. Engine parts I found easy at Napa. They had Eaton drive axles, used in trucks as well. Weak point was the brakes. Sometimes when they sit, you will have to pump them to build up pressure. Parking brake was just a band clamp around the transmission shaft....best keep chock blocks handy. They did a good job though, very powerful hydraulics. Real tough, slow moving machines. 4 speeds, never used 4th and rarely 3rd. Even though they are clutchless, make sure you come to a full stop when going from forward to reverse. Otherwise you will shorten transmission life. $4,000 is what they go for around me. These old dinosaurs can get tempermental, so be nice to them, and they should serve you well. Look at competitors of the same vintage, and you will see that no one used more steel than Pettibone.

/ Anyone familiar with a Pettibone Super 4 cary all? #3  
Put a small grapple on that bad boy and you're in the logging business!!! :thumbsup: