Anyone familiar with Case 648's?

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #1  

linrick1

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1900, Steiner 430
Hello all, I recently acquired a Case 648 that has been sitting for the better part of three years and became a haven for all sorts of rodents so I am going to go through the whole thing before I even try to turn it over. I have ordered all the parts I need to rebuild the carb and fuel pump, all filters, spark plugs, points and condensor and head gaskets for the 18 horse Onan B48M. The tractor itself has excellent tires and wheels, power steering, hydrostatic trans, an integral front end loader, mid point lift,an auxillary hydraulic valve on the rear fender and the whole shooting match is built like a tank so I know its definitely worth sinking a few bucks into especially considering I got it for free. (can't beat that!) The only obvious problems that I can see are the tie rod ends are shot, the front axle pivot pin is falling out and the seat is junk. What I'm wondering is there anything or things I want to look for or pay special attention to while I'm in the process of getting it ready for the first run? I don't have a lot of experience with hydrostatic systems so any assistance I could get would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time, Rick

Attachments

• 4-15-07 247.jpg
    4-15-07 247.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 716
  • 4-15-07 253.jpg
    4-15-07 253.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 561
  • 4-15-07 252.jpg
    4-15-07 252.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 4-15-07 251.jpg
    4-15-07 251.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 405
   / Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #2  
Where are you at Rick? I've got a seat that I'll give you if you'll come and get it.

ron

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's?
Hi Ron, thanks for your generous offer but I live out east in Ashburnham, Mass. and as much as I'd like to I'm fairly certain my lovely bride would not appreciate me driving all the way to Indiana to pick up a tractor seat.....thanks again, Rick

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #4  
Hello all, I recently acquired a Case 648 that has been sitting for the better part of three years and became a haven for all sorts of rodents so I am going to go through the whole thing before I even try to turn it over. I have ordered all the parts I need to rebuild the carb and fuel pump, all filters, spark plugs, points and condensor and head gaskets for the 18 horse Onan B48M. The tractor itself has excellent tires and wheels, power steering, hydrostatic trans, an integral front end loader, mid point lift,an auxillary hydraulic valve on the rear fender and the whole shooting match is built like a tank so I know its definitely worth sinking a few bucks into especially considering I got it for free. (can't beat that!) The only obvious problems that I can see are the tie rod ends are shot, the front axle pivot pin is falling out and the seat is junk. What I'm wondering is there anything or things I want to look for or pay special attention to while I'm in the process of getting it ready for the first run? I don't have a lot of experience with hydrostatic systems so any assistance I could get would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time, Rick

Hey Rick im Darren from the UK i have a 648 with backhoe and front loader superb bit of kit love it, i have a full manufacturers guide with part numbers and instructions that i could scan and email the bits that may help you, i could really do with the carb rebuild kit spark plugs and head gaskets can you give me the details of your contact. Look forward to your message.

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #5  
RICK,
My friend HARRY has the exact same machine.Ive posted a pic i believe on the case forum along time ago.Hes had it for along long time.It is exactly like yours.He had trouble with the face plate on his shifting mechanism[we thought it was a hydro problem].I welded in the worn places for him,and its fine now.Harry just left for FLORIDA for the winter,but i can give him your number or vice versa if you pm me.Hes the expert on it ,hes had it all apart.Nice little tractor for a twin cylindar a real workhorse for its day
ALAN
just realized im responding to an old thread,hope rick is still about.

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #6  
Hey Rick im Darren from the UK i have a 648 with backhoe and front loader superb bit of kit love it, i have a full manufacturers guide with part numbers and instructions that i could scan and email the bits that may help you, i could really do with the carb rebuild kit spark plugs and head gaskets can you give me the details of your contact. Look forward to your message.

DIGGER DAZ,
Id really like to see apic of one with a hoe,to show my friend.
ALAN

/ Anyone familiar with Case 648's? #7  
Rick hasn't posted since March 3, 2009.