Anyone for Smoked Meats?

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #21  
Bird said:
... a brine to smoke salmon and I've lost the recipe. I know it included water, salt, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worchestershire sauce, but can't remember the ratios. ...

1 c. salt, 1 c. brown sugar per qt of H2O ... any other additives just "romance" the meat (which is perfectly fine) :)

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #22  
Bird said:
I do like smoked salmon, but quite a few years ago, I barbecued a whole one with barbecue sauce, wrapped in foil, on the grill.

OH NO...not BBQ sauce.:eek:

When I was stompin' around Texas many years ago, I had some very tasty smoked meats at the chilly cook-offs. I seem to recall that giving a brisket a long bath in peanut oil opens the poors and lets in a lot more of the smoked flavor. I know when the meat was cut, you could see a big difference in how far the "red color" of the BBQ sauce penetrated the meat.

Now back to the salmon, I think that any BBQ sauce would overpower the flavor of the fish. It a delicate meat and needs a delicate enhancement. Alder smoked is a favorite around here with a brine like HomeBrew2 suggested. I chip up a few alders every spring (sans the bark, adds a bitter flavor) and would be more than happy to ship you enough try a little northwet salmon feast. Let me know.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats?
OH NO...not BBQ sauce.

I'm inclined to agree with you.:D I only did it once and was surprised when neighbors liked it well enough to do it themselves later.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #24  
The red, or pink, ring around a smoked meat that is visible when you slice it is actually the smoke ring, and indicates how far the smoke penetrated. Smoke penetrates meat only up to a certain temperature (I really don't recall....maybe about 150* or so) and once the meat has reached that temp it continues to cook of course, but no more smoke penetration. That's why "Low and Slow" is the motto of most smokers. We try to keep our smoker temps between 225 and 250 ideally. The finished meat needs to be around 170-200 depending on what it is.

Well, my new smoker arrived via UPS about 3 p.m. Our outside temperature was 30 degrees, we had a pretty stout north wind, and I didn't have the heat turned on in the shop, but decided to go ahead with the assembly anyway. They did include very good instructions, assembly was easy and I only dropped one lock washer that disappeared. However, I have plenty of lock washers on hand, so that was no problem. Of course everything was wrapped in cardboard, paper, and plastic. Nuts and bolts were in little plastic bags labelled A, B, C, etc. Last step was installing the thermometer or temperature gauge. Two pins on the back of it go through two holes in the door and are then held in place with two "push nuts". I look everywhere; no push nuts. Figured I'd go to Home Depot in the morning. Then later this evening, I decided to go back out there, cut up or tear up all the cardboard so it would fit into a garbage bag, and go through everything very carefully to see if those two push nuts might be there and I had overlooked them. Sure enough, they were wrapped in clear plastic, then in pink plastic that was stapled shut, then taped into a corner of one of the plastic bags.:eek: Even after I found them, I had to get my utility knife out to cut them free. But now it's ready when we have some decent weather.:cool:

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #26  
Here is good pork BBQ recipe. We know a little bit about pork up here in Smithfield. I've tested this many times and it has a really good mix of spices, feel free to improve upon it. Just share it with us.

Attachments

• Virginia Style Pulled Pork BBQ.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 429
   / Anyone for Smoked Meats? #27  
That looks really good Steve! I tried a Virginia pull pork recipe once ... it was pretty vinegary. I like your use of ~1/2 apple juice, ~1/2 vinegar. Also, think fennel and corriander are way underappreciated and underused ... great addition.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #28  
Just a long shot here, but we have a lot of Texans on this board.

Several years ago I attended a BBQ at the Jax brewery in San Antonio. They had the most fantastic BBQ I've ever eaten. It had no BBQ Sauce, but was a dry rub.

Anybody out there have a recipe for this? I think it would go well in a smoker.

Thanks in advance

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #29  
HBREW:
I know BBQ has a lot of regional taste. You get use to what you grew up on. We were down in Charleston last spring at a wedding and they smoked a split pig for 8hrs over oak charcoal, no rub, no sauce. The locals raved, and it was mighty good but my wife and I kept looking for the vinegar sauce to dip it in. I think North Carolina has more awareness of the importance of BBQ and has festivalls and cook -offs. I'm actually ashamed at the lack of BBQ in my area of VA. You would think with Smithfield Foods HQ right here you could find a good pork BBQ place. You have to drive 50 miles down to NC to get anything good. Now, if you want Ham... man we got Ham.

Bird: Please post some pics of the assembled smoker and a review of how well it works. Tell us more about Texas BBQ.
I think we need to have a TBN covered dish get-to-gather.

I know BBQ has a lot of regional taste.

Yep, that's a fact. Awhile back, I watched a TV show (documentary type) that showed BBQ in two areas of North Carolina (pork only), Memphis, Kansas City, and Texas (beef brisket). They supposedly took BBQ from each place, flew it to California and had some "real cowboys" taste and rate it. If I remember right, they ranked Memphis number one.

For my taste, the absolute worst I ever ate was BBQ beef ribs in what was supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Williamsburg, VA. They used so much syrup in the sauce they drowned the ribs in that it was so sweet it was almost inedible for me. But obviously someone must like it.

Texas BBQ? I'm not real sure there is such a thing since we have so much variety, but basically, I guess Texas BBQ is beef brisket. No one that I know puts any sauce on it until after it's cooked, but beyond that, everyone is different; some use nothing, some only salt and pepper, some use rubs of all kinds of concoctions. Most do cook it slow at 200 to 250 degrees, slice it cross grain, and eat it with or without sauce.

I have Robb Walsh's Legends of Texas Barbecue" cookbook and it has too many recipes for me to ever get around to trying them all.:D