Chipper Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper?

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #11  
Valby Ch160 single roller hyd. feed was $4k.

Link to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/5-37006-Chipper.JPG>picture</A>

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #12  
I have been looking at buying one of these. It seems heavy enough and has a geared feed. The Valby is available locally at higher cost for hydraulic feed. Can anyone speak from experience on how well the Bushmaster holds up? It looks like alot of parts make it up, does it take alot of maintenance to keep it going or is it a natural?

I own one of these.. They are junk and Befco does not back their product. Have had this for 4 years. Needed a belt changed..it took the dealer almost 8 hours to take it apart and repair. Befco gave them $60 for warranty work. Just got it back for the second repair. Main shaft broke chipping 3-4 in limbs. Parts and labor were over $1800. Poor metal in the shaft. I contacted Befco and they had me return it for inspection... They said the shaft was good...it had air bubbles in the middle that caused it to break. I would avoid Befco products...I know I will.. I'll sell you mine if you want to come to Ohio for it.

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #13  
Valby Ch160 single roller hyd. feed was $4k.

Link to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/5-37006-Chipper.JPG>picture</A>

I have one..I've had over $2100 in repairs the last 4 year. I don't use it that much and chip limbs under 4". ( see my other response). Avoid their products, I know I will..

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #15  
Holy thread revival Batman !! :eek:

yea the bitterness of poor quality is long lasting.
I plugged the chipper with some soft pine and thats when I found the knives buggered because the anvil had cracked into peices and a chunk of it had went thru and ruined the knives. I had just started using it, the unit has had very little use. I can't imagine what would lead to the anvil cracking.
I guess i should not complain becuase I am using a borrowed unit but sheez the knives and anvil I just bought sure are expensive ( about $400 cdn) and of low quality. The anvil bolt holes don't line up with the mounting holes. the ends of the anvil were press cut and wouldn't fit in the spot for the anvil. It all made mounting a real chore.

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #16  
Stupid Question: My tractor requires that I be seated to operate the PTO -- how is one supposed to operate this attachment by his/herself?

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #17  
Check the manual - my JD requires that you have the gear in neutral & park brake engaged if you want to use the PTO while dismounted. Likely the same on your's.

/ Anyone got a Befco Bushmaster Chipper? #18  
Stupid Question: My tractor requires that I be seated to operate the PTO -- how is one supposed to operate this attachment by his/herself?
No, you can operate the PTO on the ground. Read your manual.