Anyone have a 2850e?

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #1  

Skeletor

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1725mb
I’m really close to upgrading my 1725mb to a 2850e. Anyone have one wanna let me know what you think about it?

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #2  
Search YouTube for TC Sawmills 2705e videos. He has several good videos of using this machine. This is the predecessor to 2850e. Mostly minor cosmetic changes ( big change is engine though).

His 700 hour review is really good.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have a 2850e? #3  
Here is another good YouTuber reveiwing his 2850e

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #4  
Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger or not, but we've got about 450 hours on ours. The honest answer is that I think we'd make the same decision again, with one big asterisk.

The tractor itself has been pretty good, and overall we're happy with it. We did have the same problem shown in the YouTube video posted above, with the loader valve pivot plate breaking. Not very expensive and not hard to replace, but definitely a design defect. The loader valve has also been a challenge to keep from leaking around the loader spool. I foresee replacing this valve with a different brand down the road.

The factory 3rd function for the loader works well, but it has some flaws. Biggest concern is that the 3rd function solenoid is mounted on the loader crossbeam directly in front of the tailpipe. I keep meaning to make a heat shield for it, but at least make sure your loader is lifted a few feet if a regen starts, otherwise that solenoid is going to get real hot. Less of a concern is the replacement loader valve handle that comes in the kit. It's just pretty chintzy, hollow plastic with no real weather sealing. Considering my right hand is on it half the time, I'd like to have seen just a little more care shown in the handle selection.

The only other legitimate complaint I had is the rattles. Small things, but they need to be addressed or they drive you crazy. You'll find that you need to identify them one at a time, and take some basic remedial measures. The big two were the ROPS lynch pins, and the loader support legs (the ones that hold it up when it's removed). In both cases, some well-placed rubber silenced the irritant. There were more, but hey it's an economy model.

If a backhoe attachment was on your list, Massey does have the best backhoe subframe system in this category. Hands down. Rock solid when it's on, but can be put on or taken off in under 5 minutes. And I mean completely switched between backhoe mode and 3PH mode. Unfortunately, there is one serious drawback here as well: although the tractor is able to handle both Cat 1 & 2 implements, the addition of the backhoe subframe limits the outward swing of the lower 3PH arms. That means that for the most part, you will only be able to attach Cat 1 equipment.

The negatives out of the way, you'll notice looking this machine over that it's surprisingly well laid out. Keep in mind this is an economy tractor. There's nothing fancy, but just about everything is really well done. No sloppy wire looms, no loose hoses. Everything feels firm.

Getting back to the asterisk I mentioned earlier. That has to do with AGCO and their dealer network. We had an awful aftersales experience with our selling dealer. It's a long story, but suffice it to say that the single most important decision you are going to make is who will be the dealer that you buy the tractor from.

/ Anyone have a 2850e?
Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger or not, but we've got about 450 hours on ours. The honest answer is that I think we'd make the same decision again, with one big asterisk.

The tractor itself has been pretty good, and overall we're happy with it. We did have the same problem shown in the YouTube video posted above, with the loader valve pivot plate breaking. Not very expensive and not hard to replace, but definitely a design defect. The loader valve has also been a challenge to keep from leaking around the loader spool. I foresee replacing this valve with a different brand down the road.

The factory 3rd function for the loader works well, but it has some flaws. Biggest concern is that the 3rd function solenoid is mounted on the loader crossbeam directly in front of the tailpipe. I keep meaning to make a heat shield for it, but at least make sure your loader is lifted a few feet if a regen starts, otherwise that solenoid is going to get real hot. Less of a concern is the replacement loader valve handle that comes in the kit. It's just pretty chintzy, hollow plastic with no real weather sealing. Considering my right hand is on it half the time, I'd like to have seen just a little more care shown in the handle selection.

The only other legitimate complaint I had is the rattles. Small things, but they need to be addressed or they drive you crazy. You'll find that you need to identify them one at a time, and take some basic remedial measures. The big two were the ROPS lynch pins, and the loader support legs (the ones that hold it up when it's removed). In both cases, some well-placed rubber silenced the irritant. There were more, but hey it's an economy model.

If a backhoe attachment was on your list, Massey does have the best backhoe subframe system in this category. Hands down. Rock solid when it's on, but can be put on or taken off in under 5 minutes. And I mean completely switched between backhoe mode and 3PH mode. Unfortunately, there is one serious drawback here as well: although the tractor is able to handle both Cat 1 & 2 implements, the addition of the backhoe subframe limits the outward swing of the lower 3PH arms. That means that for the most part, you will only be able to attach Cat 1 equipment.

The negatives out of the way, you'll notice looking this machine over that it's surprisingly well laid out. Keep in mind this is an economy tractor. There's nothing fancy, but just about everything is really well done. No sloppy wire looms, no loose hoses. Everything feels firm.

Getting back to the asterisk I mentioned earlier. That has to do with AGCO and their dealer network. We had an awful aftersales experience with our selling dealer. It's a long story, but suffice it to say that the single most important decision you are going to make is who will be the dealer that you buy the tractor from.
Ok have not bought anything yet. I really want the backhoe but it’s a lot of money for what it is. That being said I still want it so I’m just stuck on the fence. Once I come to terms with the decision I’ll be getting the tractor. This minute I think I can skip the hoe and if I want one I can get a Chinese mini digger maybe I dunno. The woods bh75 with an hydraulic thumb is like 10.5k. I can get three years at 0% but that’s another 300 bucks :/

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #6  
Well and the backhoe is good for what it is, a tractor attachment, but it doesn't compare to a purpose built machine like a backhoe or mini excavator.

I've never used the little digging machines. Some people say they're great. Maybe that's an option.

I knew that we were never going with a 3ph-mounted backhoe. I've heard too many horror stories, and I believe I saw it in writing somewhere when we were buying the tractor that using one would void your warranty. I'm not 100% positive on that, I might have read it somewhere else.

The decision to go with the tractor w/backhoe option for us boiled down to three things:
  1. Financing. We only had so much capital to go around at the time, and we needed to make it go a long ways. 0% financing and a reasonable down payment made it an attractive solution.
  2. Mobility. Although a mostly functioning full-size backhoe can be had for not much more money, roading an old backhoe sucks. A lot. And most of us don't have the means to float one. The 2850e with backhoe, on the other hand, easily loads onto pretty much any tandem flatbed.
  3. Landscaping. Our needs included a lot of working around the house, and it doesn't take a full-size backhoe long to make a mess of finished landscaping. Even a mini-ex is going to do more damage than the tractor does, as long as you're being mindful.
Only you know your particular situation. In our case, we couldn't have done without it. And for us, taking advantage of the financing was a huge bonus.

/ Anyone have a 2850e?
Well and the backhoe is good for what it is, a tractor attachment, but it doesn't compare to a purpose built machine like a backhoe or mini excavator.

I've never used the little digging machines. Some people say they're great. Maybe that's an option.

I knew that we were never going with a 3ph-mounted backhoe. I've heard too many horror stories, and I believe I saw it in writing somewhere when we were buying the tractor that using one would void your warranty. I'm not 100% positive on that, I might have read it somewhere else.

The decision to go with the tractor w/backhoe option for us boiled down to three things:
  1. Financing. We only had so much capital to go around at the time, and we needed to make it go a long ways. 0% financing and a reasonable down payment made it an attractive solution.
  2. Mobility. Although a mostly functioning full-size backhoe can be had for not much more money, roading an old backhoe sucks. A lot. And most of us don't have the means to float one. The 2850e with backhoe, on the other hand, easily loads onto pretty much any tandem flatbed.
  3. Landscaping. Our needs included a lot of working around the house, and it doesn't take a full-size backhoe long to make a mess of finished landscaping. Even a mini-ex is going to do more damage than the tractor does, as long as you're being mindful.
Only you know your particular situation. In our case, we couldn't have done without it. And for us, taking advantage of the financing was a huge bonus.
As far as the warranty goes it it’s a 3point hitch mount it voids the warranty. Subframe mount does not so I’m covered there if I decide to do it.

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #8  
As far as the warranty goes it it’s a 3point hitch mount it voids the warranty. Subframe mount does not so I’m covered there if I decide to do it.
That's right. Let us know what you decide.

/ Anyone have a 2850e?
Overall length also concerns me. It looks like the backhoe hangs waaay off the back.

/ Anyone have a 2850e? #10  
Huge size difference between a GC and a 2800E. Both are great tractors - your going to need a bigger trailer:)