Flail Mower Anyone have the KPX flail?

/ Anyone have the KPX flail? #1  

montyhp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316g
Starting looking at flails after seeing the infamous 90 page thread on Caroni flails. I came across KPXtractor.com where they are selling a 64" flail (just right for my 33 horse Mahindra) for $1399. That seems to be one of the best prices going. The website says you are dealing directly with the manufacturer. It doesn't say where the manufacturer is.

Anyone have any comments on these?

/ Anyone have the KPX flail?
Starting looking at flails after seeing the infamous 90 page thread on Caroni flails. I came across KPXtractor.com where they are selling a 64" flail (just right for my 33 horse Mahindra) for $1399. That seems to be one of the best prices going. The website says you are dealing directly with the manufacturer. It doesn't say where the manufacturer is.

Anyone have any comments on these?

Sorry, it is KPX Tractor Wood Chippers and Backhoes Attachments (with an s)

Montyhp

/ Anyone have the KPX flail? #3  
From a flail mower owners perspective I would rather buy the Caroni from the Agrisupply folks IMO for several reasons.

a. the mover knives are not knives in the sense they are bent flat stock with a so called cutting edge.

b. The rotor housing is only 5 millimeters thick which offers little structural strength and the mower does not appear to have any internal bracing at the hood weldment over the rotor to reduce any possiblity of twisting or racking and creating a possible binding condition on the bearings.

c. I am suspicious of the rotor as it does not appear to have any weights welded to the rotor to balance the rotor at rated operating speed.

c1. the rotor appears to possibly be piping or hollow bar stock cut to length of some type with weldments attached for the so called knives. the rotor is small in diameer and close to the ground surface-a no no for flailmowers!!!!

c2. no pictures of the rotor bearing mounts.

c3. no mention of the wall thickness for the rotor bearings side wall steels which are welded to the mowers rotor hood.

(This fact alone would tell me not to buy it, and purchase the Caroni-from a machinist and journeyman mechanics perspective because if the rotor is not balanced it only amplifies the acceleration and throw weight of the so called knives). This also will kill the bearings faster. FYI we replaced our first set of main rotor bearings after thirty years of use and we still have the same flail mower (the flaimower rotor we have is a large diameter balanced rotor with four rows of shackle mounted knives) with welded weights mounted on the rotor like the caroni but its a Matthews.

d. No information about the gearbox, gear box mounting, or belt drive, belt tensioner -passive with spring and snubber pulley or active with compression tension bolt adjusting snubber pulley or any related pictures are available on the web page.

e. no slip clutch PTO shaft is supplied (from my perspective of seeing the so called rotor so close to the ground would demand this).

f. no discussion of or evidence of a full width roller and the cutting gauge hieght adjustment, thats an automatic failing grade.

If you worried about price buy a smaller 48" Caroni rated for your tractors horse power with the f type rotor and 4 rows of knives and have it shipped to your door with frieght included in the price or buy one at one of thier outlet stores to avoid paying the frieght charge. It will outlast you and your tractor if you take care of it.

I would not buy the flail mower that is offered by northern tool for the same reasons.

leonz

/ Anyone have the KPX flail? #4  
Their contact page list Az as their place of business

KPX Tractor Supply
34 N. 45th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85043

/ Anyone have the KPX flail? #5  
Appears to be same manufacturer as the flails sold by Betst Co and referenced in a couple of threads. I own the 68" hydraulic offset flail which appears identical. It is well built and I've abused it pretty good so far. I'm very happy with it. If it is the same manufacturer, be aware they are available in various duty configurations the EF is light duty, mine, EFGH is heavy duty and 1/4" steel. Here is a link that discusses the differences: Betst Companies items - Get great deals on Flail Mower Comparison items on eBay Stores!

You can also click links for more pics

Calling Keith at Betst Co 1-877-876-7895 ext.312 is informative you can learn what is available at best price:

Their contact page list Az as their place of business

KPX Tractor Supply
34 N. 45th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85043

I am thinking the KPX flails are not made in Arizona.

Montyhp

[snip]

If you worried about price buy a smaller 48" Caroni rated for your tractors horse power with the f type rotor and 4 rows of knives and have it shipped to your door with frieght included in the price or buy one at one of thier outlet stores to avoid paying the frieght charge. It will outlast you and your tractor if you take care of it.

I would not buy the flail mower that is offered by northern tool for the same reasons.

leonz

Leonz, Thanks. I too am worried about the quality of the mower, although, I am just as worried about that quality of support from the dealer.

I wasn't considering the 48" caroni because it won't cover the width of my tires (59 inches). The 59" flail is better, but will it cover my tracks with the offset? The 72 inch version looks like it is not as well suited to cutting a lawn.

The main reason I was looking at KPX or Betstco is the width. Betstsco seems to have better dealer support (based on emails with both).

I think I will probably get a flail, still deciding on which one, though.

Montyhp

/ Anyone have the KPX flail? #8  
Leonz, Thanks. I too am worried about the quality of the mower, although, I am just as worried about that quality of support from the dealer.

I wasn't considering the 48" caroni because it won't cover the width of my tires (59 inches). The 59" flail is better, but will it cover my tracks with the offset? The 72 inch version looks like it is not as well suited to cutting a lawn.

The main reason I was looking at KPX or Betstco is the width. Betstsco seems to have better dealer support (based on emails with both).

I think I will probably get a flail, still deciding on which one, though.

Montyhp

monty the 48 and 59 inch or 72 will work fine if you order the hydraulic side shift for either of the the little varmints as the side shift is substantial from position 0 and position 1 as it has a full width slide cylinder for positioning at Point zero and Point 1 in the dimension diagrams. the side shuft is 450 and 800 MM on the FTM1900
at position 0 and 1 if I read it correctly.

The caroni folks have been doing this for a long time and you can order a front mounted flail if you are willing to wait a few weeks as I am unsure if that is something that the agrissupply folks can put together on this side of the pond or if it has to be assembled in the Caroni S.P.A. plant.

All the models will slice grass nicely as they work in the same way with the grass knives and F rotor (finish cut)
with 4 rows of knives.

Go to the www.caroni.it home page , go to the flailmower section, go down the page to the dimensional drawings and it will give you the side shift or secondary attachment point mounting width off center dimension.
but the hydraulic side shift would also do this for you with no worries abou unhooking and rehooking each time you wanted to move the mower over to mow in the further off set position.

no worries order a Caroni with the F rotor and you wil have 4 rows of grass knives. and decide if you want a front mount or a rear mount with side shift and the size of the mower.

Last edited: