Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions!

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #11  
Having worked a bit in the construction business before I knew better, I can tell you that the demand for inexperienced older workers, good knees or not, is microscopic. Part time is also a problem.

Around here, the demand is for experienced, able, multi capable employees that are willing to work 6 days a week, long hours, in times of good weather, and hardly at all in the winter months.
It is grueling work, the pay is very good, but usually offers poor benefits

If you could get a cdl you might get a job driving dump truck in the summer.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #12  
I'm a retired Boeing engineer, now going on 6 years. It's starting to get stale doing the same thing pretty much every day here on my farm and need to do something different. I've been watching Andrew Camarata's dirt working videos on youtube. And one of the things I do enjoy about my farm is working on and continually improving the one mile gravel road I live on. Plus, I'd like to earn some "toy money" so I can buy more guns, ammo and reloading supplies (I have two rifle ranges and one pistol range on my property - shooting be expensive Yo).

So I'd like to get a job helping a small contractor who does excavation, backhoe, gravel and other type dirt jobs. I'd prefer part time as well.

I would envision my role as one of support: driving a truck to and fro, maybe running a skid steer moving dirt while they did the primary digging. In other words, the opposite of "dig a trench and if you hit a gas line you'll kill a thousand people" type jobs.

I'm not gonna lie: I've never operated heavy equipment before, just my Kubota L4330 tractor (well plus my cousin's big JD combine, but that was in the late 70's). I've looked into getting a TN Class B CDL (able to operate +26k lb vehicles) and I can take the knowledge test ok, but can't take the skills test since I don't have a +26k lb machine to test on. Not sure what to do there, if anything. In addition, I'm +63 years old, worn tore up knees and recovering from a broken back: I won't be digging ditches or bailing hay any time soon.

On the positive side: As a retired person, my schedule would be pretty flexible. Plus, having worked at Boeing +32 years, if I say I'm going to show up for work, then I show up; undrunk and unhungover.

If you're in the dirt work business as described above, would you even consider hiring someone like me without heavy equipment experience? What advice would you give to someone to approach a dirt works contractor?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

No.

Did Boeing hire an inexperienced uneducated person to replace you?

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #13  
You guys are too funny. I just did some work with a contractor who was lined up through our primary client. He was a retired school teacher and worked part time running equipment for the contractor. He said that he had never been short on work since he retired but he worked construction some during the summers but it didn't sound like it was related to what he did now. He spent the day digging test pits for us and was more than capable. It doesn't hurt to ask, but you are going to have to prove yourself OP.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #14  
I would recommend getting the class A as well. You will be jumping threw the same hoops anyway. look on craigslist for jobs in you're area, indeed might be another. It's not hard to find a job in the dirt business. You might not get the schedule you want but it rains all the time.

You will have to take a driving test so, you will have to find a job and or a truck to get the CDL. At least in MS you do.
In MS we can hire a third party to give the driving test, but usually the truck is your responsibility to get on sight.
MS, MSDPS gives the driving test as well but you better know to a T what is required and the truck better be up to snuff too.

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions!
I have a best friend that does small earth projects,, landscaping,, etc,,,

he used to hire guys like you,, not any more,,
Now,, 100% of the people want to subcontract the work, they are their own boss,,

That is a good thing, if the subcontractor goofs off,, he makes nothing,,
if he works hard,, he makes MORE than good money,,

times are a changing,, :cool2:
be ready to be flexible when you start looking for work,,,

There are two contractors that have been out to my place, one delivering gravel, the other topsoil. Both work only with themselves and won't hire anyone anymore. Both said having employees was too much of a PIA.

No.

Did Boeing hire an inexperienced uneducated person to replace you?

Inexperienced? Yes, straight out of college (read: real low pay). Uneducated? No, 4 year Engineering Degree like most Engineers at Boeing.

I would recommend getting the class A as well. You will be jumping threw the same hoops anyway. look on craigslist for jobs in you're area, indeed might be another. It's not hard to find a job in the dirt business. You might not get the schedule you want but it rains all the time.

You will have to take a driving test so, you will have to find a job and or a truck to get the CDL. At least in MS you do.
In MS we can hire a third party to give the driving test, but usually the truck is your responsibility to get on sight.
MS, MSDPS gives the driving test as well but you better know to a T what is required and the truck better be up to snuff too.

Class A/Class B both have the same problem: A Skills Test where you bring the skills test vehicle, i.e. a truck and trailer with the trailer over 10k lb or a truck over 26k lb. I have neither.

Which makes it sound like I have to go through some sort of formal for hire training class/school, don't know.

Thoughts?

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #18  
Have Penske delivery a rental semi to the testing center maybe?

/ Anyone in the Dirt Work bidness here? Got questions! #19  
To be honest, if a dirt contractor hires someone without experience, you'd more than likely start out as a ground man/go 'fer. That's the guy that makes pipe connections, hook & unhook, operate a plate tamper, if covering pipe with gravel, "tell" the operator dumping stone in a blind hole, that they have enough stone, or need more, and mostly done with hand signals, etc. etc. You'll learn the ins and outs of how a job is done, before getting any seat time. Not to shoot you down, but, with a bad back, and knees as mentioned, they probably don't want someone on the job like that. For a contractor bidding on jobs, time is money. They need to be efficient as they can be.

I have 2 good friends that are private contractors. And me, being a retired heavy equipment operator, they about pester me to death, to come work for them. I keep telling them there are too many younger men out of work that "need" a job. And their reply is the sad fact, that many cannot pass a drug test. I'm even afraid to offer helping part time, because I know what it would lead to. They would always be needing help, and to be honest, I've got enough of my own to do.

Thanks DJ, appreciate the input.