Anyone know the history of the hydraulic splitter?

/ Anyone know the history of the hydraulic splitter? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I was splitting a bunch of wood today with my 3PH splitter and having a fine time. Listening to music and splitting logs I'm not sure I could have done with a maul. In fact, I told my wife I believe we would be buying wood because I wouldn't have time to split all we need. Made me thing about the person who came up with the basic design. Sure would like to thank them.

May be the wrong forum, but though someone here might know some history.

Thanks,

/ Anyone know the history of the hydraulic splitter? #2  
remember years ago about someone who had a type of hinged wedge you drove in the bigger logs and filled with gun powder. when it was set off it split the logs into small enough pieced to split with an axe. anyone ever heard of it and how it worked? didn't ask to many questions because of fear he would show me how it worked. I may be a fool, but not your ordinary fool.

/ Anyone know the history of the hydraulic splitter? #3  
I was splitting a bunch of wood today with my 3PH splitter and having a fine time. Listening to music and splitting logs I'm not sure I could have done with a maul. In fact, I told my wife I believe we would be buying wood because I wouldn't have time to split all we need. Made me thing about the person who came up with the basic design. Sure would like to thank them.

May be the wrong forum, but though someone here might know some history.

Thanks,

I think this one is a good start for researching a powered log splitter....it's definitely much older than the hydraulic one.....Can imagine it was water powered in the beginning......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY

/ Anyone know the history of the hydraulic splitter?
I think this one is a good start for researching a powered log splitter....it's definitely much older than the hydraulic one.....Can imagine it was water powered in the beginning......
YouTube - WORLDS FASTEST LOGSPLITTER
Much different pace! I need to do some research, but I would assume the "modern" style of pump (stand-alone or tractor) and ram splitter followed the use of hydraulic power on farm implements. Any idea when the first "remotes" appeared on a tractor?