Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO?

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #11  
400psi? Are you sure?

I also noticed the 400 psi figure. If it is really 400 psi, that isn't going to work. Need to be near the 2500-3000 psi level. Probably need flows near skid steer levels of 18-21 gpm. Pump cost will probably be closer to $750-1000 or more.

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #12  
The pump won't cost that much, but that's pretty accurate for the whole system (valve, res., lines, etc..) The real hurdle is what you said in your previous post - he only has 24HP to work with. A Prince SP20B27 would give him 13.9GPM at 2500PSI and 2000RPM requiring 23 input HP for about $170...

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #13  
Another way to do it would be to buy a 15 hp gas engine for the blower. Adapt it onto the snow blower (much easier than adapting the hydraulics), route the power leads to plug into the front of your tractor to energize the electric starter on the 15 hp engine, etc. Heck, if you have a quick-tach bucket on your loader, make the blower quick-tach compatible. This would be the slickest deal going. You'd have a quick switch from bucket to blower, MUCH better than a front mounted blower that required removal of the loader. Hydraulic stuff in my experience costs about twice what you originally estimate. Quite a bit of the cost is in fittings and nice custom length hoses.
What does a 15 hp horizontal engine cost? $450? $500?

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #14  
The pump won't cost that much, but that's pretty accurate for the whole system (valve, res., lines, etc..) The real hurdle is what you said in your previous post - he only has 24HP to work with. A Prince SP20B27 would give him 13.9GPM at 2500PSI and 2000RPM requiring 23 input HP for about $170...

I was kind of ball parking the pump price with the other needed parts. I was guessing pump closer to $400-500. I didn't realize 23 hp input prince pump would only get 13.9 gpm. Is that enough to run a hydraulic snow blower? I am more familiar with the skidsteer ones that use 18-20+ gpm at 3000 psi.

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #15  
What about hard mounting the snowblower to the front and running a drive shaft from the mid PTO? You woudl have a little up/down movement with set of u-joints, probably enough for a blower.

That seems a more effective way of getting it done (maybe?).

jb

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO?
   / Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #17  
Another way to do it would be to buy a 15 hp gas engine for the blower. Adapt it onto the snow blower (much easier than adapting the hydraulics), route the power leads to plug into the front of your tractor to energize the electric starter on the 15 hp engine, etc. Heck, if you have a quick-tach bucket on your loader, make the blower quick-tach compatible. This would be the slickest deal going. You'd have a quick switch from bucket to blower, MUCH better than a front mounted blower that required removal of the loader. Hydraulic stuff in my experience costs about twice what you originally estimate. Quite a bit of the cost is in fittings and nice custom length hoses.
What does a 15 hp horizontal engine cost? $450? $500?

I did this!

Found a wisconsin 16 HP, mounted it with crank facing rearward and bolted on blower top.
Used a 3.5 inch on motor sprocket and drove a 10" sprocket on my blower input shaft and designed a tensioner for the drive chain.

The blower was a 48" and the power was more than adaquate.
Being electric start I could start from the cab at any time/location.

I had added attaching points that mated with my loader arms once the bucket was remouved for the winter. Attachement was easy, just 4 pins like the bucket.

If I did it again I'd use double VEE belts rather than chain drive as a tensioner clutch arrangement would not be hard to arrange.
Being non clutched the motor was a bit difficult to start with the load of the blower mechanism. (but it did work out OK)

Visibility 'up front' was the main drawback due to angles and distance, so much so that I ingested a large metal object and totally scrapped the blower.
I since went back to a bit wider rear PTO mount.

The biggest hurdle/problem was keeping the engine from ingesting blown snow especially whenever I blew to the left (where the engine was mounted) so I had to create a shrowd to prevent cold wet snow from contacting the hot engine.
Once overcome I used the rig for the whole season trouble free. (until I ingested that d--m piece of scrap metal).

Still have the !6 hp, and probably will add it to my log splitter. (another project)

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #18  
Have you got any picture of your Wisconsin powered snow blower Piloon?

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #19  
Unfortunatly I did not take any piks of that Wisconsin installation, sorry.

That was before I found TBN plus don't believe I had a digital camera at that time either.
About all that is left of that rig is a few odd bits of metal in my scrap pile.

I could add that the 48" blower powered by 16hp was unstoppable, actually overpowered for the size of blower and clumsy to do 'in close work'.

The one neet advantage was that being mounted on the loader arms I could demolish high snow banks from the top down.

/ Anyone mounted a PTO hydraulic pump on their middle PTO? #20  
Surgeon-

Mid mount pump and hyd. systems are fairly common, but pricey. What all the other replies have warned you about are true. I don't know your specific tractor, but if you install a 13.9gpm pump, keep in mind that even if you have a 20gal hyd. fluid capacity in the tractor, the pump will recirculate that fluid every 80ish seconds. That translates to a ton of heat. I ran a JD4115 for several years with a Sweepster Hyd. Broom that ran off a mid pto pump. It was awesome, but robbed a ton of power and had a 35 gal hyd. resevoir on the rear. The hose routing was a nightmare and costly. The pump sucked so much power that you had to creep into the hydrostat when you went forward from a stand still to keep the tractor from stalling. FEL mounted blowers are great but you are going to have be creative or open your wallet.

Spike - Now in Idaho not MI