Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s?

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #1  

crazymike

Silver Member
I'm curious as to anyones experience moving round bales with the 284s. I've done a search, but I'm hoping some new people have gained experience.

Round bale weights vary quite a bit, but average from 800-1200lbs. My main concern is with the front end gears, not the actual lifting. I'm not talking about taking 200 bales out of a field. But for the occasional person who wants to put 2-3 in a padock every week, is it suitable? Should it be left in 2wd only?

Any information would be great. I know the 30+ hp series is more suited for this, but if the 284 does the job, there is no need to go higher.

The convenience of fitting into most barns but still being able to handle bales would be nice, which is why I like the 284 for small horse farmers.

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #2  
Mike,
A KAMA TS254C offers a compact package with a heavy enough chassis to do what you want. Understand that the actuall limit for a Koyker 160 with a hay fork mounted in place of the bucket (not on the end) is probably about 1000 maybe 1100 lbs. The KAMA has bigger front differenctial as it was designed as a 30HP chassis, In fact the same chassis is used on both the 25 and 35HP models. You may want to see if you can find one nearby to look at and compare, price is about the same as a Jinma.

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #3  
What about using a 3pt bale spear? Or.. if nothing else.. a doodlebug?

Soundguy

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s?
The 3pt bale speare is fine as far as transporting them, however it will not put them into feeders, etc... or stack them for storage.

I do manufacture and sell a bale mover that attaches to the gooseneck ball in a pickup truck. It lifts the bale into the truck bed by means of a hand winch, or for extra money a hydraulic cylinder. However, it too can only transport them more or less.

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #5  
I have moved the 5x4 bales with a 284 and a Koyker 160 loader its about all the tractor can handle,I would not use 4-wheel drive with that weight and the 3-point is only rated at about 800 lbs, we have sold alot of Hay Buggys that you pull behind the tractor that has a hand winch ,the are not very expensive new.Just a thought.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #6  
Mike,
I have a 224 with a backhoe. It is the Jinma loader. I have moved about 45 rolls with it this fall and winter. Granted, most of those have been moved at least twice if not 3 times. They have all been 4x4 and 4x5 rolls. Some have been rolled a little tighter than others, but all have been pretty good rolls. I have unloaded every one of them off my trailer which I load 2 high. I generally put out 2 to 3 at a time, so I set them over the fence from where I have them stored and then go in the field to put them in the feeders. I haven't had any struggles to speak of at all. There have been a couple of times that the bucket didn't really want to curl, but it was fine. The only thing I am really wary of is when I set them down. I lower slowly so as not to put a surge of force on the tractor. I have let a couple get going too fast and just set them all the way down. That might be a little cautious on my side, but I would rather tell you I did that than break something and wish I had thought to do it. I have moved some in 4 wheel because of the mud and stuff in the feed area. I guess I will try not to do that now as I hadn't really thought about any problems with that. If Chip and Tommy are wary of that, I guess I probably should be as well.
I know what the loader is rated to lift and was well prepared to not be able to do this with it. I have been nothing shy of amazed at what this thing has done. I grew up on a farm and have been on/around all kinds of equipment forever. I really thought this thing would help in cleaning up around the barn, dig a few holes and make the manure pile and sawdust piles easire to manage. I didn't expect more than that. Not having to move the feeders every time I put hay in the field has been the biggest bonus of all.

/ Anyone moving round bales with jinma 284s? #7  
while I have not done it one of the others I know does and has done so regularly since his 284 was new. he does 2 at a time one front & one back using china zl20 FEL and bail spear... he said they are full size 1200 bails.

anyhow be wary of applying too much pressure and only turn wheel when moving... I've had mine full of wet gravel as in fully loaded with all the bucket will hold. backed up & out of steep creek bank, probably a good 2/3 yard of gravel soaked with little space left over... not sure of the weight but wet sand stone & grainet rock...

anyhow these little buggers will do more than most people give them credit for...

mark.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif