Anyone own or used a gregory grappler

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #1  

ric

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 245DT and 175F
I am considering purchasing a gregory grappler. Anybody had any experience with one of these units?

Thanks.

ric

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #2  
Refresh my memory in what that is?

Blake
WA

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #4  
Looks like an industrial grapple. I haven't used a ss withone. Not sure a whole lot of people have too. What do you plan on using it for? I'm assuming you might want to use it but want opinions?

Blake
WA

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler
My plan is to use this for picking up trees, tree parts, brush, wood scrap and any else that requires a grabbing action.

The lower tines on this unit as opposed to a modified bucket on the bottom appear to be useful for roots, brush and ground breaking. The upper tines overlap the lower tine instead of clamping against them making them useful for picking up large or small amounts of whatever it is I need to pick up.

Usually these things have two small hydraulic cylinders, this one has a single large one. I am curious why that might be and what problems this might eventually pose.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ric

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #6  
The only potential problem I see is the number of lower tines or lack thereof. Grapples like these have more tines closer together so they can grab smaller material as well as large pieces. They may not dig as well, I'm not sure.

As to the number of rams... If the frame is sturdy enough, I see no problems.

All comments are just my opinion, take it for what you paid...

(I have no connection to the above website other than reading their ads.)

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #7  
You could also check out this one from FFC . I have the JD Work Site Pro one but the model I have isn't shown on Deere's site. Same idea as the FFC one with independent grapples on top, but the lower tines are replaced with much taller/thicker ones for more aggressive use but makes it harder to use when trying get close to the ground to pick up little stuff but works great on the larger branches and trees.

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #8  
Ric

I have the Worksaver version of a grapple. www.worksaver.com look under material handling. I use the Skid Steer Quick Attach version on both my TN75D and my 2120 which both have Quick Attach buckets and it works great for exactly what you describe. It also picks up medium and large size rocks with ease. I like the fact that it has more bottom "teeth".
P.S. This is the worksaver picture of the Grapple, it is not shown on my tractor. How much is the one your looking at?

Andy

Attachments

• 247005-ssgrapple.jpg
    247005-ssgrapple.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 297
   / Anyone own or used a gregory grappler
Andy,

Very interesting. Whats the cost on this unit? The gregory grappler is in the $1800 plus shipping range.

There are some similarities between these units.

Any downside that you have encountered?

Thanks for the alternative.

ric

/ Anyone own or used a gregory grappler #10  
ric

I haven't really noticed any downside. As long as what you're picking up doesn't fall between the lower teeth. If the grapple you're looking at has 3 lower teetH, then I think you might find the fact that the Worksaver has twice as many interesting. I use it to dig out rocks, brush and roots also. I've picked up a pile of brush that filled the entire back of my F350 dump in one grab. Mine cost me about $2200 delivered and that included hoses and quick connects.

Andy