Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #21  
We use grease in out howse bush hog. We use a tube of hi temp grease and 8 oz of 90 wt gear oil.

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #22  
Follow up post.
I brought the brush hog home last weekend and went to work on it tonight using advice from my farm neighbor. He said you need to whup on top of each side of the bar that the blades and pan are attached to. I almost gave up after putting a propane torch on it and hitting one side with a sledge and then the other. Wouldn't you know,,,,,,,,I couple of light taps before I was going to call it a night dropped the pan.
Bad news is the shaft is .010 out near the threads and .009 out about 3/4 of an inch away from the gearbox. :mad:
I was walking through the pasture Saturday and noticed the rock I had hit a year earlier. I need to get that thing loaded and hauled to the rock pile. :D
shaft wear will mean bearing play.. which is why the seal weeps.

Any chance of sleaving it?

soundguy

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox
I went to AgMart where I bought the Howse and the owner seemed to think this gearbox was the replacement. It looked identical but I didn't have the old one with me. The castings and everything is identical. The red one has a Cheetah sticker on it and the black one has a Grizzly sticker on it. Here's the difference. The red cheetah (old) has a ratio of 1:1.93
The replacement has a ration of 1:1.47
Is it much of a difference to worry about? It's used on a 20HP Kioti.
The rust on the new one is from being stored outside as is typical with this store. Bigger pictures at this location
513380386_XYp6t-S.jpg

shaft wear will mean bearing play.. which is why the seal weeps.

Any chance of sleaving it?

soundguy

Shaft is bent. This unit probably didn't have 5 hours on it from new.

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #25  
Dang.. bent.. that's more or less a death sentence unless you can find the saft.. or take lots of work at a blacksmith and machinist. IMHO.. not worth it.

1:1.93 at 540 rpm input means output shaft is spinning at 1042.2 rpm

1:1.47 at 540 rpm input means output shaft is spinning at 793.8 rpm

that's about a 24% reduction... you would need a pto rpm of 709 to achieve the same output shaft speed.
IMO.. I wouldn't run anything over 600 on a mower like that... that will yeild 882 output rpm on the new box... which is a 15.4% reduction.. and IMHO.. nothing to worry about on a rouch cut brush cutter.

just my opinions...

soundguy

Thanks for the feedback Soundguy.

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #27  
in my older Howse 6' finishing mower, I just put in 3 new bearings.. now when cutting I get a leak from the top fitting that you put grease in.
I put in new rubber ring tape but still getting a leak and it is TIGHT..

and where on this gear box is the over flow??? I only see where you put grease in??
I'm stumped..

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #28  
Not familiar with your mower, if you are leaking grease after you use it, you are probably over greasing it and the grease needs to expand when it heats up. My post from 2008 still applies, The old tired bush hug is STILL chopping along. even after I put a whuppin on her trying to open some heavy brushed trails this summer..... :thumbsup:

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #29  
in my older Howse 6' finishing mower, I just put in 3 new bearings.. now when cutting I get a leak from the top fitting that you put grease in.

and where on this gear box is the over flow??? I only see where you put grease in??
I'm stumped..

the top is the fill.. it should be a vented cap.. if you overfill it it will leak. if you use the wrong oil and it foams it may leak out the cap... and SOME minor spalsh out a vent cap will still be normal anyway..

/ Anyone put grease in Howse cutter gearbox #30  

I'm stumped..

the top is the fill.. it should be a vented cap.. if you overfill it it will leak. if you use the wrong oil and it foams it may leak out the cap... and SOME minor spalsh out a vent cap will still be normal anyway..