Buying Advice Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab?

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #1  

droptop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635 cab
I was hoping for some feedback on if anyone regrets getting a tractor with a factory cab on it.. I really like the idea of being out of the weather.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #2  
I don't have a cab, but I wouldn't mind having one! :thumbsup:

What hp range are you looking at?

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #3  
My old tractor had one.... I miss it, that's for sure.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #4  
When it's cold and nasty out, I'd sure like one. Kinda wish I had bought my bota with a cab.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #5  
If you have the time, you should be able to find a couple of really long threads dealing with this; pretty interesting.

Our last two tractors purchased were cab and we won't be buying another though we do have some older open station tractors. I moved our last open station to another farm this year where my brothers use all open station as due to health issues I can no longer drive them.

Working in heavy woods, you will need to spend some time trimming limbs or replacing lenses, but it is well worth it to me.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #6  
I would like a cab in rainy or cold weather, or pushing snow, but I do so much in and around trees that I would spend way too much time pre-cutting branches or just being blocked from certain areas. Most of my land is either forested or dotted with trees.A cab would be nice, but not too practical in my situation.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #7  
Heck no !!!

I probably put as many hours on my tractor in the winter as I do in summer. It simply doesn't matter what the temp is, or if the wind is howling...... the snow gets moved.

Kubota B3030HSDC Snowblowing Video - YouTube

In summer it's great to click on the A/C and be comfortable in 95 degree heat. No pollen, bees, etc.

I do go around in the spring, before the first mow and trim any low hanging branches. I can see more of an issue working in the woods, for sure.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't feel it should feel like a chore and go out and do tractor work. I love being comfortable no matter what task needs to be done. :D

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #8  
I thought I had to have a cab on my 4310. I did the installation myself to save money, added the heater and a bunch of accessory wiring with its own fuse block. Sure was nice when I needed to clear the driveway in the winter- which usually took me about 1hour. All that said, I'm going to resist the urge with my new machine. My use during warmer months is in excess of winter use by a long shot, and the slightly reduced viz & slightly higher noise level of the cab just doesn't make it worth it.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #9  
In summer it's great to click on the A/C and be comfortable in 95 degree heat. No pollen, bees, etc.

???
Where in N.H. do you live that there are a significant # of 95 degree days? :confused:
I've lived here most of my life, and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of 90 degree days in the average summer.

/ Anyone Regret buying a Tractor with a Cab? #10  
My full size backhoe has a cab and dealing with it is a pain. Because of that and wanting to go into the woods to pull logs I made the choice not to get a cab. Sure there are a few times that it would be nice in the middle of the winter I wouldn't mind a cab but it's not that often and there are as many, if not more that I'm glad I don't have one.

While using the BH I'm always getting on and off the tractor. That means always opening the door. It always seams like I'm working on enough of an angle where the door closes on it's own. The cab AC is pointless when using the BH because with the rear window closed you loose too much visibility. Sure if you want to keep the windows clean it would be much better but when you're working in the dirt they quickly get a layer of dust. A cab without AC needs to have every window open in the summer, even in Vermont. I've already broken a turn signal and a work light on the cab trying to work in the woods.

If my sole use was to blow snow in the winter and the cold really bothered me, if I used my tractor to work a field or some other way where I wouldn't be getting on and off all the time, or if I had a medical condition it would be different, I would have a cab.