Thumb Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH?

/ Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH?
Today he had to run an pick up some metal on a job added 150 gallon tanks on either side of a corn planter and when he said he had 7 hours I went ahead and paid him $200 but he said just wait until the thumb was mounted but he took it which should have been way more enough to pay materials for other job(s) not that he needed it.

While I am going to get all of the welding needs addressed as I think of them he has agreed to teach a few hours of shop class for the twins. We have the little 90 amp HF but have not done much with it.

If he gets the thumb on Friday I will get the BH home and start changing out all the fluids.

Got the 1983 JD 310B backhoe home about 5:30 today and worked with the thumb some and started to get the hang of how to set it.

I got off to secure it to see if it was going to be in the way when digging out a tree and found I was setting in a pool of hydraulic fluid. Finally was able to get things lifted enought to move to a better place to work on it.

A quick trip under the BH indicates a major leak around the filter cansister that points toward the ground. Hoping I just blew that seal.

After getting the thumb on he addressed some old bucket damage that was more looks than anything else so now both buckets have been rebuilt/repaired and the thumb well mounted.

I did give the welder a $50 tip for those wondering. :thumbsup:

I will get some working shots after I get it running again. I had already gotten the new filters and fluids over the last few weeks.

Well I finally got back in town and spent some time using the thumb today.

It is awesome. I picked up loads heavy enought when swung to the max right/left it wanted to raise the other rear tire. Now I can wind row the trees when clearing gound instead of stuff being where it falls as long as the trees are not too large. 4" and down are easy to just pull up by the roots and wind row to one side.

/ Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH? #35  
Weird, your pictures aren't working:confused2:

Glad it's working out for you, though:thumbsup:

Weird, your pictures aren't working:confused2:

Glad it's working out for you, though:thumbsup:

The kids were on mowing projects and I was focused on learning new skills. Then when the line leak developed that got the rest of my attention.

/ Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH? #37  
The kids were on mowing projects and I was focused on learning new skills. Then when the line leak developed that got the rest of my attention.

Just kidding. You will really love the thumb, though!

/ Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH? #38  
Have been waiting and finally got the thumb and loving it!!

Attachments

• image-1341366464.jpg
    image-1341366464.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 192
  • image-1239793655.jpg
    image-1239793655.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 168
  • image-1118720908.jpg
    image-1118720908.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 171
Got back to using the BH yesterday to dig/push out some large trees. To get to them I had to clear some 6-8".

This was the first digging I had done to speak of after getting the manual thumb installed. It was fully closed for digging but it still worked great. I could windrow the smaller stuff on either side by closing up on a downed tree and picking it up due to the thumb being there and swinging it to the right or left and dropping it.

I never dreamed of that feature when I ordered the thumb.

/ Anyone sorry for adding a Thumb to BH? #40  
BH thumb has finally caught my attention. Looks like those that have them are satisfied with them. I do some moving of small trees, shrubs and grasses as well as moving my rocks around. Think I'm a candidate for a thumb on my BX25. In to my second day of research, found this thread and want some input. I won't be moving hugh downed trees, I have a BX25 BH so it isn't hugh or major powerful. With that in mind what's your opinion on these thumbs?
21 inch 21" Heavy duty backhoe THUMB mini excavator hoe clamp | eBay
18 inch New 18 inch Backhoe Thumb Mini Excavator Thumb Hoe Clamp | eBay
Why would I want a 21" over and 18" or vise versa?