Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps?

/ Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Over the winter my Hypro PTO sprayer pump must have frozen because it now leaks out of the weep hole in the side of it whether running or not. I put anti-freeze in last fall but for some reason the pump didn't get it.

Anyway, I have a backup pump so I'm good but wonder what happened to the Hypro pump. Did the frost just push the inner seal enough to let the water out? I wonder if I could just take the cover off and move the seal? Assuming I could move the seal and assuming that's what it is.

Does anyone know anything about these and what may have happened for water to come out the weep hole? The only thing different between fall and now has been freezing weather so that's what I think is going on. Any advice appreciated.

/ Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps? #2  
What were you spraying? And is your pump housing rated for it. E.g. I have a Hypro cast iron pump, but I needed to spray a field with roundup. I knew they were not compatible so now I have to take it apart and hopefully it's not so far gone that it can't be rebuilt. I'd run a gallon of antifreeze thru it for a while after each use to keep the corrosion down and flush any residual water, that seemed to work.

/ Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps?
What were you spraying? And is your pump housing rated for it. E.g. I have a Hypro cast iron pump, but I needed to spray a field with roundup. I knew they were not compatible so now I have to take it apart and hopefully it's not so far gone that it can't be rebuilt. I'd run a gallon of antifreeze thru it for a while after each use to keep the corrosion down and flush any residual water, that seemed to work.

Thank you. I spray glyphosate, which is corrosive, but this is a "Silvercast" pump that is mostly stainless. I rinse thoroughly after use and have pumps last many years. Antifreeze, after spray and rinse is always a great idea.

/ Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps? #4  
I sounds like a seal or maybe a bearing is bad. They're repairable and even Amazon carries repair parts for around $30-$40, just need the pump model to get the right kit.

/ Anyone understand Hypro type PTO sprayer pumps?
Well, I got desperate and figured it out. I watched a video on YouTube on how to rebuild one and it looked like my seal and bearing were pushed out by the frost action. That's why water was coming out the weep hole.

So, without disassembling the pump, I got a large socket from a 3/4" drive set and tapped the bearing back in about a quarter of in inch. The leak stopped so I'm good to go. It worked fine and since it's a high end stainless pump for Gylphosate use and pricey. Easy and lucky fix and I feel better.