Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump?

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #1  

BSVLY

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
#Northern Industrial Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump 12 Volt DC, 10.5 GPM, Model# DPD045A

1096009_lg.jpg

It is on sale ($40.00 off) and I was going to use this to pump diesel from a 55 Gallon drum on a trailer into a 55 gallon storage drum at the farm. So it would only get used a few times a year. The reviews are OK..

My question for anyone using one of these models: Do you really have to pour diesel fuel into the pump to prime it before using it like tha manual indicates? If so-I think I'll pass.

The manual says:
3. Connecting the Tubing
Before connecting the delivery tube, partially fill the pump body with diesel fuel to facilitate priming.

Once I had the 13 foot rubber hose cut and mounted-I'd hate to have to siphon fuel, take off the hose just to get the pump to work every time??

Comments please?

Thanks

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #2  
Once I had the 13 foot rubber hose cut and mounted-I'd hate to have to siphon fuel, take off the hose just to get the pump to work every time??
No doubt ....... :rolleyes:

Comments please?
OK, how's about this:

Once you prime it and use it initially for the first time, when you've finished pumping leave some portion of the hose below the pump, release trigger on fill nozzle (closing it) before shutting off pump (leaving the hose filled), then turn off pump.

On next use if you need to prime it, raise hose (somewhat above pump) and squeeze trigger on nozzle ..... then turn on pump ;)

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump?
No doubt ....... :rolleyes:

OK, how's about this:

Once you prime it and use it initially for the first time, when you've finished pumping leave some portion of the hose below the pump, release trigger on fill nozzle (closing it) before shutting off pump (leaving the hose filled), then turn off pump.

On next use if you need to prime it, raise hose (somewhat above pump) and squeeze trigger on nozzle ..... then turn on pump ;)

I appreciate the thoughtful response. Naw-that is messy too.

Really I just want to assemble it, stick it in a full fuel drum, empty the drum, drain the pump and hoses and store it for 5 months or more...and then drag it out and repeat the process without having to take apart the hoses and dump fuel in the pump. Sure don't want to leave fuel in the hoses while I store it that long. Can't store it in the empty drum either because at some point, I'll be hauling the empty drum to the fuel depot for a refill.

Heck-I just might get an old fashioned, self priming hand pump-a quaility one for around the same price..

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #4  
I just noticed the following under "Feature & Benefits" on the web page for the product:

"Self-priming rotating vane pump with bypass valve"

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #5  
That looks like the one I bought from them last year. I haven't had to prime the pump before use. Other than the hose not being long enough for my use (I bought more), the pump is adequate for my use. I usually power it with a charger rather than a battery.

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump?
That looks like the one I bought from them last year. I haven't had to prime the pump before use. Other than the hose not being long enough for my use (I bought more), the pump is adequate for my use. I usually power it with a charger rather than a battery.

Thanks!

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #7  
I have the Harbor Freight version of the exact same pump set up. Works fine. Noisy but no complaints about performance. No need to prime.

/ Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #8  
I have a Tuthill pump, works great. The price went up and it looks to be about $300 now, was about $200 when I bought it. I use it to remove heating oil (a natural gas comapny is converting people all around me) from 275 gallon tanks.

It's a little more money, $199 (maybe you could find it cheaper elsewhere) but the Tuthill version of that pump includes a telescoping steel tube for the drum.

Attachments

• 1096004_lg.jpg
    1096004_lg.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 233
   / Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #9  
Out here by where I work there is an auction place that has all sorts of neat toys. Right now there is an auction for a group of 4 of these units. I forget when this auction ends but if you Google "bidadoo" and look for auctions here in Seattle you should find them. I am think about bidding for the package and selling off the other 3 if the price is right.

Attachments

• Fuel pump.jpg
    Fuel pump.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 224
   / Anyone using Northern's "Cheap" 12 VLT Transfer Pump? #10  
Maybe you could find a pump that will pump air, then it won't need a prime. Self priming.