Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks?

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #1  

ByronBob

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 BX2230
Hi all,

I think for the most part of the summer that my differential lock was stuck engaged on my tractor. I noticed when mowing the ground was getting ripped up more than normal.

Yesterday I oiled everything real well and the lock is now free. It moves in and out alot better than it did. I'd say I got 20 hours or so with it this way.

What damages did I do? It never was on the road.

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #2  
If you were not on asphalt or concrete I don't think you would have done any damage. Even if you were on asphalt or concrete I think the only damage that you would have done would be to you tires! Diff locks are pretty darn indestructable.

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #3  
ByronBob said:
Hi all,

I think for the most part of the summer that my differential lock was stuck engaged on my tractor. I noticed when mowing the ground was getting ripped up more than normal.

Yesterday I oiled everything real well and the lock is now free. It moves in and out alot better than it did. I'd say I got 20 hours or so with it this way.

What damages did I do? It never was on the road.

Kubota built these tractors for a normal users, (people dont need to be experts in drive-line knowledge to use a Kubota), if you forget the diff in for a period it (drive-line, gearbox etc)wouldnt take any damage. What is more wearing for your diff is not to use the difflock. If you start spinning one wheel and not engage your difflock your internal sprockets inside the diff will start spinning which put more stress on your diff than if you engage the diff right away. You allways engage your diff when you drive straight, both rear wheels should be traveling at the same speed. And allways engage the diff when your wheels start spinning. You should avoid to turn on dry asphalt or concrete with difflock engage. Hope this will help you. /Sam

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #4  
For the record my L manual says to only engauge when both wheels are stopped.

In your case you probably just need to step on it a little more often to keep it from rusting.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #5  
I never use my differential lock because I keep mine in 4WD all the time:p

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #6  
Texas Dodge said:

You say that today but I guarantee you there will be times you will need it...4wd or not:)

I have used mine many times and there was one time nothing worked except another vehicle and a chain:(

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #7  
RobJ said:
For the record my L manual says to only engauge when both wheels are stopped.

In your case you probably just need to step on it a little more often to keep it from rusting.

Good Luck,
Rob

For Kubota you should very likely to stop the tractor before you engage difflock. I was speaking in general meenings about difflocks. But as you pointed out read the manual for your tractor.

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #8  
wushaw said:
You say that today but I guarantee you there will be times you will need it...4wd or not:)

I have used mine many times and there was one time nothing worked except another vehicle and a chain:(
Oh I'm sure I will one of these days.:D

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #9  
Texas Dodge said:

In reality, 4 wheel drive is 2 wheel drive. One front - one rear. Get either one off the ground and you have no wheel drive.

/ Anyone with knowledge on Differential locks? #10  
So engage rear diff lock and you have 3 wheel drive...:D