Buying Advice Appropriate Tractor?

/ Appropriate Tractor? #11  
Thanks for the responses so far.

crusty 1: I've lots of good things about the ct235. My concern is that the loader capacity will not be large enough to move bales. That's why we were looking at the larger machines. Anyone out there with 440/445/450 experience?

Egon: I agree, the FEL and ability to move bales is primary; do you have any suggestions for other machines (brands) in this category?

bp fick: I'm helping him less because he asked me to and more because I want him to find a machine that will 1) meet his needs 2) be useful longterm and allow him to continue doing what he enjoys, 3) be something he can afford. I'm partial to the new tractors because they carry warranties and I assume (maybe incorrectly) will be more dependable over the short and middle term (10 years). But in the end it's his money and needs to be his decision. I'm just trying to present some options. I believe having a number of options and opinions is useful when making such a big decision. And I fear anyone who says "Buy green, blue, or red" without giving support for this "argument". I understand that a tractor's reputation is important, but I also know that quality goes up and down and new players enter the market. Someone who knew everything there was to know about tractors in the 50s but hasn't been paying attention recently may not know what's available, or even what's good in the modern marketplace.

Keep the good feedback coming!

Thanks,
Peter

The bob cats ,I and my dealer believe are rated on the low side.I use mine often to haul gravel from the niegbors pit 1&1/2 miles away.I know I,ve had 1,500 pounds in my 1250 rated tractor and only bucket size limits what it will carry.I will add a few inches to the bucket after my warranty is up.Full load of damp gravel , 1 finger steering.This tractor has never done less than amaze me.Been farming and around farming my whole life using many tractors and the 235 is just a gem.For what you,ve talked about needing I don,t think you could miss.Just my opinion and you know what they say about those!:laughing::laughing:Dave

/ Appropriate Tractor? #12  
Egon: I agree, the FEL and ability to move bales is primary; do you have any suggestions for other machines (brands) in this category?

[Someone who knew everything there was to know about tractors in the 50s but hasn't been paying attention recently may not know what's available, or even what's good in the modern marketplace.
/QUOTE]

I'd like to help but your last comment says a lot about me. I'm out of date so I can only make generalized comments.:eek::D

/ Appropriate Tractor?
Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments.

I was out with my dad over the weekend looking at some local dealerships. He's got his eye on a used Ford 2120. Seems a fine tractor, but the wear and tear don't seem to match up with the hours (1270). He's going to talk to the owner to see what's going on. I think the 2120 is selling for $12,500 with FEL. It also has a backhoe attached which is $5200.

My preference is still for a new machine that has a warranty. That's worth some amount of money, but since it's not my money....

One of the brands we looked at Saturday evening was LS. Does anyone know anything about them?

Egon: I'm not disparaging those with 50+ years of tractor knowledge/use. I'm just suspicious of claims for tractor A, B, or C without reasons to back it up. Your comments have been very helpful.

bbse: Thanks for the suggestion. I think he did look at Mahindra but they were a bit more expensive and not very near (100 miles? I think). My dad was also warned against them because "they've been bankrupt 3 times". I think that comment came from the same person who said "buy Green, Red, or Blue" and I have no idea if it's true.

crusty1: It's nice to know that bobcats are a bit more capable than their specs suggest. The loader that this new machine needs to replace is a David Brown. I'd guess it's 25+ years old and 50-60HP. My dad commented that when his 8ft JD mower machine was delivered, he used his DB FEL to lift it off the trailer. The new machine need not be that hefty, but maybe it will turn out to be that capable.

Several have warned about having a tractor large enough to fill in when the Case goes down. That's an important suggestion. I hope that 45HP new would be able to pick up some of the slack, but how does one coax a less than 90HP tractor to fill in for a 90HP tractor? The reason he's not shopping for a big (100HP) machine is that, 1) he has one and 2) he needs something small enough (physically) to maneuver in his barn. Height and width are concerns for this.

I believe that this new 45-50HP machine will do most of the daily work. When the Case is needed (round baling, plowing, discing) it will just have to be available. I'm not sure there's any way around this. But if the Case isn't needed daily, spending a day getting it ready isn't a big deal around this farm. It's mostly a hobby farm so if things have to wait a day, heads don't need to roll.

tinman955: The HP difference between the 445 and 450 isn't that great. What do you think would be missing on the 445 relative to the 450?

How large a machine is needed to run a 6 foot brushhog (in some pretty thick stuff, at least at first)?

Again, thanks to all for the comments. I think this is going to get sorted by the end of the month. At least that's when Bobcat's free FEL deal ends.

/ Appropriate Tractor?
tinman955-

I think a trip to the Bobcat dealership to test out the hyrdo vs SST is worth doing. I see you are in PA, so is my dad. What dealership did you work with? Are you satisfied?

My dad's in the NW part of the state about 45 minutes from Bobcat of Waterford.

Regards,
Peter

/ Appropriate Tractor? #16  
wooly I sent you a PM as well, I just bought from waterford.

/ Appropriate Tractor? #17  
all the bobcat tractors or is a kioti so as long as there is kioti there will be parts but a 2120 ford nh is a real good little tractor

/ Appropriate Tractor? #18  
Egon: I'm not disparaging those with 50+ years of tractor knowledge/use. I'm just suspicious of claims for tractor A, B, or C without reasons to back it up.

But you should for as Ive stated many of us old folks are out of touch. And I take no offense to such as it is the case!:thumbsup:

/ Appropriate Tractor? #19  
wooly,I,d suggest you find a dealer you,re confident in and ask for demo,s it,s the only way you and your dad will know for sure.It,s a big purchase no matter how you slice it and you,ll want to be sure.:thumbsup:Dave

/ Appropriate Tractor?
crusty_1: That's a great idea. In fact, the nearest Bobcat dealer has offered to bring a machine by the farm for him to test. To be honest I think that made the old man a bit nervous. What if he really liked it? He'd have to buy it and when the dealer offered this, he was enjoying shopping but wasn't ready to spend $20K. I think mentally he's getting closer. It's a big purchase and I want him to get the right tractor AND be happy with it. But without driving/testing any, it's basically window shopping....

Peter