are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain?

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #51  
They are a waste of money for anyone with any real use of a chainsaw...for the casual chainsaw user they would be good...but for someone using them for serious work they are not as economical as the traditional sharpening. They wear the chain down pretty quick. The advertisement mentions a sharpening in 3-5 seconds...more like 30-45. Greatly decreasing the life span of the chain. What they would be good for is a quick fix in the field, to save a trip back to the barn or shop. They work no doubt...but cut the life span of your chain to 1/3 or at best 1/2.

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #52  
They are a waste of money for anyone with any real use of a chainsaw...for the casual chainsaw user they would be good...but for someone using them for serious work they are not as economical as the traditional sharpening. They wear the chain down pretty quick. The advertisement mentions a sharpening in 3-5 seconds...more like 30-45. Greatly decreasing the life span of the chain. What they would be good for is a quick fix in the field, to save a trip back to the barn or shop. They work no doubt...but cut the life span of your chain to 1/3 or at best 1/2.

My understanding is they need that special chain which apparently can't be filed by hand.

Harry K

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #53  
Yes the chain is different than standard chain. I might try to get some pictures on here showing what it looks like. And for the casual homeowner it might be a way to go. I suppose a person could use a flat file to get an edge back on the teeth.

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #54  
I tested one these out for oregon. For the intended group they would be great. Homeowners with occasional use saws. Pricey though. Chain cut good which surprised me looking at it..

I dulled one out cutting a brick. Few seconds and I was cutting the wood again. I couldnt do that with my regular chain in 3/8LP.

I also tested their battery powered saw. It has a place too for someone out there IMO. They also told me they were doing a top handle version in the future.

The way it is set up on powernow

powernow006.jpg

powernow008.jpg

The ones for gas saws.

powernow002.jpg

powernow011.jpg

powernow014.jpg

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #55  
I tested one these out for oregon. For the intended group they would be great. Homeowners with occasional use saws. Pricey though. Chain cut good which surprised me looking at it..

I dulled one out cutting a brick. Few seconds and I was cutting the wood again. I couldnt do that with my regular chain in 3/8LP.

I also tested their battery powered saw. It has a place too for someone out there IMO. They also told me they were doing a top handle version in the future.

The way it is set up on powernow

powernow006.jpg

powernow008.jpg

The ones for gas saws.

powernow002.jpg

powernow011.jpg

powernow014.jpg

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #56  
Thank you xyz123 I forgot to go out to the shop and get some pictures of the chain. I don't think they are approved for cutting bricks though. :laughing:

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #57  
Thank you xyz123 I forgot to go out to the shop and get some pictures of the chain. I don't think they are approved for cutting bricks though. :laughing:

I couldnt resist. Free and new to test out and give feedback. All I had to do was send everything back after I was done.

So I tortured tested beyond what I thought a homeowner would throw at the chain. :eek:;)

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #58  
Wow the rep let me and the guy I work with keep our set ups plus he threw in a couple of Oregon hats. I probably put about 10 hours of cutting on the chain before I wanted to sharpen it. It did seem to hold an edge longer cutting wood that was a little dirty.

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain? #59  
That's is hilarious that you need a special chain...the one I saw was a neighbors and he must not've got the memo and that you needed to put on the special chain he was using a standard chain with disastrous results...can't wait to get up in the morning and tell him that he needs to go ahead and put on the chain that came with it...he thought it was just a spare. So Funny...no wonder it wasn't working.

/ are automatic chain sharpeners too hard on a chain?
That's is hilarious that you need a special chain...the one I saw was a neighbors and he must not've got the memo and that you needed to put on the special chain he was using a standard chain with disastrous results...can't wait to get up in the morning and tell him that he needs to go ahead and put on the chain that came with it...he thought it was just a spare. So Funny...no wonder it wasn't working.

that's too funny. Can you imagine the noise that thing made when he tried to sharpen it? Whoa