Are Harbor Freight Chains any good?

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #11  
Skyco;

Where do you get those coupons for 20% off ? I'm on every mailing list they have and never get them. Let us in on the secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #13  
If they are rated as schedule 70 chains then they have to meet the requirements of schedule 70. Many people make the mistake of using schedule 43 tiedown chains for other uses. They don't shock load well.

I can attest to that. I have a bunch of HF grade 43 chain that I use with
grabber hooks for general lifting and skidding logs. I cut the chain in
shorter lengths and welded grabber hooks on them. I have broken links
numerous times now, and it is dramatic. The links bend in the middle and
the welds split. I try to weld the splits before they separate completely.
My grade 70 chain hardly even scratches when skidding logs. No more
grade 43 for me.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #14  
Skyco;

Where do you get those coupons for 20% off ? I'm on every mailing list they have and never get them. Let us in on the secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beats me, I get one every Thursday in my email, good Friday through Monday. Lately they've dropped them to 15% though. If you are an NRA member they are in the magazines every month too...and, they are good for 30 days or more, 20%.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #15  
Companies are legally liable these days for their grades of chains and bolts. Many years ago there were so many counterfeit bolts made in China that most companies threw all their bolts away and started over. A grade 70 chain should be grade 70 no matter where it comes from. A grade 8 bolt should be grade 8 no matter whee it comes from. At least in here the USA.

/ Are Harbor Freight Chains any good?
   / Are Harbor Freight Chains any good? #17  
...They don't shock load well.
I can tell you...G70 chains are To-ou-ou-ou-ough. I had some small lengths of 3/8" G70 cut as make-up chains since my safety chains were a smidge too short once I put my WD hitch on...BROKE THE MACHINE at TSC. It took 30 minutes just to retrieve my small bit of chain out of the jaws of that thing. And it sounded like a gunshot when that G70 chain finally gave. "Regular" chain has nothing on it...G70 is awesome stuff.