Are mower deck wheels necessary?

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #11  
Sorry to hear this, as I'm in the market for a new mower.
I have a Simplicity Regent and about 3 acres of flat grass,
but with holes EVERYWHERE. The wheels kept falling into
holes and breaking the first year, and the next year the
wheels, brackets and all, started breaking off the deck.
I got fed up rewelding them and made adjustable spring
hangars for the two front wheels and hung the deck from
the frame. Works remarkably well (I adjusted the height
right where I wanted it).
So the answer to the original question is, No you do NOT
need wheels on your mower deck.

Why don't you fix your yard? I have put a 175 hours on my conquest with no problems at all. Welcome to TBN

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #12  
Why don't you fix your yard? I have put a 175 hours on my conquest with no problems at all. Welcome to TBN

Well, it's 3 acres worth of grass, with moles, gophers, and the neighbor dogs constantly digging holes.
Thousands of holes! I don't live in suburbia, I live in the country, and I don't manicure the lawn.
Anyway, I haven't seen a mower deck that looks like it could take the punishment of my holy property.
They are only cheap thin steel, all of them.
But, that's not the point. The point is, that any mower deck can be hung from the frame if done
properly and you can saw off the front wheels AND brackets and never be bothered with them again.
I think that was the original question, Are mower deck wheels really necessary?

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #13  

It depends on what you are using the deck for. :laughing:
P6041714.JPGP6041716.JPGP6041717.JPGP6041720.JPG

Warning do not engage the PTO.:thumbdown:

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #14  
Well, it's 3 acres worth of grass, with moles, gophers, and the neighbor dogs constantly digging holes.
Thousands of holes! I don't live in suburbia, I live in the country, and I don't manicure the lawn.
Anyway, I haven't seen a mower deck that looks like it could take the punishment of my holy property.
But, that's not the point. The point is, that any mower deck can be hung from the frame if done
properly and you can saw off the front wheels AND brackets and never be bothered with them again.
I read the post and it reminded of my uncle, i came in one afternoon and he said i fixed my mower today, i said what did you do and he showed me. he drilled a hole on each side of the deck and installed a threaded rod on each side of the deck and atached to the foot pad on each side, the wheels were gone i looked at the grass it was 2 inches in some places and 4 inches in others. if it works for you it works for me

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #15  
Usually the mower deck hangs from the tractor and the wheels just help float over the high spots . Have you got yours set to carry the full weight of the deck all the time while mowing ? They probably won't take that . Iam not familiar with your tractor or terrain , just thinking out loud .

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #16  

I have at least 5 acres of pasture, Take the wheels off and just use the back rollers.

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #17  
I have at least 5 acres of pasture, Take the wheels off and just use the back rollers.

I have a Simplicity Regent. The mower deck has (had) 4 wheels. There is an adjustment lever that adjusts
the height of the deck, you adjust the height, then adjust the front wheels to maintain that level on the front
of the deck. In operation, both front wheels were constantly dropping in holes, and the cheap plastic broke
into pieces. The left rear wheel dropped into a hole and broke not only the wheel, but the bracket that held
the wheel, I welded it, It broke again. The right front bracket broke, I welded it, it broke again.

Your suggestion to take off the wheels was the first thing I tried.
The front of the deck hung down too low though.
Then I built hangers to hang the front of the deck from the frame
and I adjusted it right where I wanted it, and I get a consistently
level, perfect lawn every time. No wheels to drop in holes,
no brackets to break off of the deck.

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #18  
My front wheels rarely touched the ground, The pond once but that's a different storey. if it works for you go for it.

/ Are mower deck wheels necessary? #19  
You and I have a completely different deck.