Are new tractors as goods as old ones?

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #1  

naegling62

I was looking into getting a tractor. I have a 140 acre cattle farm. Now I have used my neigbors 60k+ JD cab tractor and it's nice but way out of my price range. While shopping at the local dealers I've come to noticed that the older tractors look better built. No plastic, heavy forgings and no frills that will tear up in the long run. Are tractors like rifles and fishing reels? My old Enfield rifles will still be workin' a 100 years from now......my Ar-15? No way! I've got an old Mitchell Garcia 300 (made in France) spinning reel from the 60's that I am still using and in the mean time I have thrown away a dozen modern "made in china" reels. The old tractor I was lookin' at is an International 766. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
   / Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #2  
I was looking into getting a tractor. I have a 140 acre cattle farm. Now I have used my neigboors 60k+ JD cab tractor and it's nice but way out of my price range. While shoping at the local dealers I've come to noticed that the older tractors look better built. No plastic, heavy forgings and no frills that will tear up in the long run. Are tractors like rifles and fishing reels? My old Enfield rifles will still be workin' a 100 years from now......my Ar-15? Now way! I've got an old Mitchel Garcia 300 (made in France) spinning reel from the 60's that I am still using and in the mean time I have thrown away a dozen modern "made in china" reels. The old tractor I was lookin' at is an International 766. What do y'all think?

I think you have excellent instincts and they're telling you the old ones are better built.

I think the old ones ARE better built, but they're less comfortable to run and have less features. Newer tractors have a lot of lighter-built accessories, lots more wiring, switches & accessories that make them less reliable. They have more electronics that are vulnerable.

An International 766 is a real heavy built classic tractor that will last long, long time.

I fell for the creature comforts and the features, but still try to buy decent brands, albeit used-can't afford new.

This Chinese stuff you and I see.....wow, talk about light duty. I just can't see buying it. It's not built to last.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #3  
I was looking into getting a tractor. I have a 140 acre cattle farm. Now I have used my neigbors 60k+ JD cab tractor and it's nice but way out of my price range. While shopping at the local dealers I've come to noticed that the older tractors look better built. No plastic, heavy forgings and no frills that will tear up in the long run. Are tractors like rifles and fishing reels? My old Enfield rifles will still be workin' a 100 years from now......my Ar-15? Now way! I've got an old Mitchell Garcia 300 (made in France) spinning reel from the 60's that I am still using and in the mean time I have thrown away a dozen modern "made in china" reels. The old tractor I was lookin' at is an International 766. What do y'all think?

Any one of the 66 series will treat you well. I am sure more will chime in on this.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #4  
I was looking into getting a tractor. I have a 140 acre cattle farm. Now I have used my neigbors 60k+ JD cab tractor and it's nice but way out of my price range. While shopping at the local dealers I've come to noticed that the older tractors look better built. No plastic, heavy forgings and no frills that will tear up in the long run. Are tractors like rifles and fishing reels? My old Enfield rifles will still be workin' a 100 years from now......my Ar-15? Now way! I've got an old Mitchell Garcia 300 (made in France) spinning reel from the 60's that I am still using and in the mean time I have thrown away a dozen modern "made in china" reels. The old tractor I was lookin' at is an International 766. What do y'all think?

We all fall into the "trap". The cheap goods ... we buy.

Not long ago I had a leaky radiator on my tractor. I mentioned here stop leak or other stuff that will fix the leak. One reply here about fixing radiator the right way; Pay me now or pay me later. So after fixing on the cheap and after a close call with overheating, I took the rad off and had it fixed right. To compare; it's pay me now or pay me later. Buying the cheap crap; we save today and lose in the end. There are no quality goods left. Good service is just a distant dream. It came about because most consumers want cheap. Geeze, I like cheap too. Now I believe cheap has come to bite us. I include all of North America and many European countries where quality was king. Folks who make quality are out of style.

Just one guys thoughts.

Coffeeman

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #5  
The older one's are better built sad to say. Older anything in America is better built. Welcome to the "Made in China" generation in America. We do love our bargains. To the point it has compromised the American product. We can make it better but it costs more. Mostly because the American CEO's and and stock holders are bleeding the companies dry. Waiting for a bailout they are. And it seems they will get it. Reward for bad performance it is. Of all I have never seen anything more disgusting than this bailout.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #6  
It's also a sign that all our wages have not kept up with the rising costs of living. Sure, we make 5-10X what we made in the 60's, but the cost of materials, homes, school tuition, food, etc have gone up more than wages. That's why there's more financing for longer terms, more debt, more bankruptcy, etc.

We need "cheap chinese" because we can no longer afford quality made equipment at "American" prices. :(

I won't buy Chinese, so I've had to compromise by buying older/used better quality names that still have some life left in them and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll last and taking extra good care of them.

Only thing I'll still buy new is my everyday driver pickup when I can get a great deal. Everything else is used.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #7  
The older one's are better built sad to say. Older anything in America is better built. Welcome to the "Made in China" generation in America. We do love our bargains. To the point it has compromised the American product. We can make it better but it costs more. Mostly because the American CEO's and and stock holders are bleeding the companies dry. Waiting for a bailout they are. And it seems they will get it. Reward for bad performance it is. Of all I have never seen anything more disgusting than this bailout.

All very true words. The must have cheaper for the consumer and the stock holder killed a lot of good products.

What really gets me is people I see who will brag about how great of a price they got on something they bought that is very blatant not American made and then in the next breath complain that nothing is made in America anymore. Its like they expect everyone but them to buy American.

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #8  
I think that you can still get good quality. You do have to pay for it of course. I bought a no frills JD a little over a year ago. I think it will last way past my lifetime.:) However, I must say that I wish it was going to be the other way around.:D

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #9  
The overpaid American worker has cut his own throat. More pay, have to cut costs, cut build quality, lose sales, lose jobs.........

/ Are new tractors as goods as old ones? #10  
I can't disagree with the above posts, but to get back on track before this thread gets closed..

Back to the original question..

The 766 is a great all around farm tractor. It will handle all your hay work, tillage, and planting with ease if you decide to go that route. I believe its in the 75 HP range. I wouldn't hesitate to put a tandem axle manure spreader behind it and add a skid loader for cleaning out the barns, add duals to the tractor for better floatation.
The 66 series is a good series, I think that series had issues with the torque amplifier- maybe someone can confirm this?

Good Luck!