Are our grandkids getting too sissified?

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #32  
When Richard Branson was around six years old, he was in the backseat of his mother's car on his way to visit his grandmother. With about four miles to go, the future billionaire founder and chairman of the Virgin Group started acting up — and his mother, Eve, stopped the car, pushed him out, and told him to find his own way there.

In a Virgin blog post from 2013, Branson explained that on that day his mom kicked him out of the car, she was punishing him for "causing mischief in the back seat," but his lonely, scary trip to his grandmother's house ended up becoming an experience he would grow to become grateful for, and one symbolic of the way she raised him. He was to always be in control of his emotions and rely on himself to get what he needed.

I could never get my wife to let my boys learn things the hard way. Always covering for them. Now they are learning as adults but they are learning.

Let them learn as kids; you will be glad you did!

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #33  
This may be the ultimate thing that never happens anymore:

As a kid I delivered newspapers after school on my bike. One day 2 bigger kids chased me and tried to rob me while hitting me on the back. I pedaled faster and got away. The next day, while doing my monthly door-to-door collecting for the newspaper bill, an elderly lady said she saw what happened and told me that she never wanted that to happen to me again. She handed me a .22 Deringer! I still have it. I was 12 years old at the time.

Like I said. That would never happen today.

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #34  
My dad bought me an old Sears mo-ped when I was 13 years old. He paid $35 for it. We had a second farm that was about five miles from our house and the moped was to ride to that farm. He bought it so I "didn't wear out the tractor tires on the pavement". I could ride it to that farm and back.

It had been painted with a brush. The gear shift was on the handlebars and the cable was broke so there was a metal pipe wired to the transmission lug and you had to clutch it and reach under the seat and jiggle the pipe back and forth to change gears. It might have reached 35-mph down hill, with a strong tailwind. The headlight didn't work and I was supposed to stay on that tractor and work until dark so I would ride home with no headlight. But the taillight did work.

Within three months I had figured out how to get to just about anywhere I wanted to go while staying on gravel roads. I got caught twice while on that thing, once by a deputy and once by the sheriff. The sheriff knew my dad and called him and chewed him out for letting me out on the road on that piece of crap. So when I was 14 I was allowed to spend $200 of my own money and get a used Yamaha 100 which I rode everywhere. Got caught on that one a couple times too.

What would a deputy think today if he pulled over a kid on a motorcycle with a rifle tied across his back with grass string? What if there were three or four similarly armed teenagers? Would he let them go after telling them to keep their butts off the paved roads?

RSKY

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #36  
Or are we making the world a safer place for them?

What's your opinion?

Just look through some of the posts on this Forum ! Start with the manlift. OMG, a hose may explode and drop you while catching fire and then exploding while ruining the wax job on your brand new " 'bota' ". "I pulled the trigger on a Culver's Butterburger today". Really ? You shot a gun off of or at your tractor dealer today? Quit pretending you are all Hee-men and go pee off the back porch. Some need to buy that new underwear from Duluth Trading Center with a better dance floor (bigger ballroom) ...

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #37  
I'll pee off the back porch if I have a mind to and those "Ballroom jeans" are very comfortable and well made. Your point?

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #38  
Robot Check

as far as playgrounds its probably the threat of law suites that is forcing all that....I read last child in the woods and it talks about communities
pulling down tree forts on public property because they do not want to get a law suit. Its all fun and games until the lawyers get involved....

/ Are our grandkids getting too sissified? #40  
This may be the ultimate thing that never happens anymore:

As a kid I delivered newspapers after school on my bike. One day 2 bigger kids chased me and tried to rob me while hitting me on the back. I pedaled faster and got away. The next day, while doing my monthly door-to-door collecting for the newspaper bill, an elderly lady said she saw what happened and told me that she never wanted that to happen to me again. She handed me a .22 Deringer! I still have it. I was 12 years old at the time.

Like I said. That would never happen today.

Holy Cr**! :laughing: