Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I want to add remotes to my 424 and I need to know if the valves need to be open or closed centered? I don't think it says in my operators manual.

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #2  
Back in those days I can't think of one that was closed center! The closed first hit just below 100 plus HP for the most part and it still is.

It is an open center!

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered
Back in those days I can't think of one that was closed center! The closed first hit just below 100 plus HP for the most part and it still is.

It is an open center!

That's kinda what I thought, but I hate to spend money wrong.

Thanks

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #4  
Good call to ask!

I've never added a valve to a tractor before, so this is a learning process for me.

Will tapping in as show in this pic work? Would it be better to try to get a factory valve setup?

There is a tee there currently with a cap on one side and that is where the service manual shows connecting to for testing the pumps pressure. The block that tee goes into is where the split is to divide the fluid to the steering and to the three point hitch.

These are the valves I'm looking into:
https://www.surplusc...tname=hydraulic
http://www.northernt...38991_200338991

Attachments

• Valve Input Question.jpg
    Valve Input Question.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 257
   / Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #6  
There hasn't been a facory option available for 30 years. I do believe you are headed in the right direction. The return would be easiest by adding on to the fill behind the seat and dumping it in there.

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #7  
Diesel scout, I could not view valves.
First put pressure guage in where you say the manual says to check pressure and verify by pressure if it is open or closed.
That looks to me like a priority valve. Splits certain amount to power steering and rest to 3 ph. If it is open center it will not do you any good hooking to the plugged end. You will need number of valves as needed and a power beyond probably hooked to 3 ph.

Diesel scout, I could not view valves.
First put pressure guage in where you say the manual says to check pressure and verify by pressure if it is open or closed.
That looks to me like a priority valve. Splits certain amount to power steering and rest to 3 ph. If it is open center it will not do you any good hooking to the plugged end. You will need number of valves as needed and a power beyond probably hooked to 3 ph.

How do you tell if it's open or close with a pressure gauge?

I asked the same question here IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed - Red Power Magazine Community and they said the same thing you did.

Yes that is a priority valve to split flow between the steering and the 3 pt hitch.

Fixed the links
Brand Hydraulics Monoblock Loader Valve with Regeneration, Model# PLV22RFSTKAB | Control Valves | Northern Tool + Equipment
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7677&catname=hydraulic
https://www.surpluscenter.com/pages/Catalog283-015.pdf

Looks like there plenty of joystick valves that have the powerbeyond capability, but I'll likely have to buy the kit to add it.

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #9  
If you can find a spec for tractor pressure, such as 2000 psi, and guage reads that with out doing anything, it will be a closed center. If reading is say under 500, it is open center. These are just numbers pulled out so do not take them as actual, but will give a good idea. Another thing you can try, will not be 100% is to hook on to something with 3 ph that it will not lift. If you know what the pressure relief sounds like when trying to lift and it does not have pressure to lift you should hear it open. If it is closed center pump will just go out of stroke and sort of sit there, open center will try to keep building pressure. Pressure guage would be better.

/ Are the IHC 424 Hydraulics Open or Closed Centered #10  
They didn't build closed center systems with fixed displacement pumps when that tractor was made....also a closed center system would need a low pressure by pass to allow an easy cranking of the engine.....and priority valves are mainly used in open center systems...

The priority valve and the steering system is designed to to make steering work at a low flow, for example 3gpm, low engine rpm's...basically the pump flow at low rpm idling of the engine....when rpm increases, flow 5 gpm, the priority valve diverts the excessive flow, 2gpm, to the rest of the system....

You can tell that you have an open center system by, hands on, feeling the tension in the pump outlet hose when activating the 3p system or the steering....even the idling rpm's should indicate a load.....