Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)?

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #11  
Way back when I was a young lad we had a little Quebec heater in the basement that we used to heat the water for 'bath nite'. We'd start it burning with wood and then load it up with coal. Took about 3 hours to heat the 45 gallon barrel of water that was in the attic. Our fancy hot water pressure system.

I also have a circa 1910? Beach 'Companion' wood/coal cookstove that I took off line about 5 years ago. It heated the main part of the house and we cooked on it too.

Last edited:
   / Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #12  
Those are beautiful!

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #13  
I grew up with one dad called a "radiant heater". It was kinda like a pot belly with a filigree enameled box around it. Brown and very shiny. Being in Nebraska, we burnt mostly corn cobs. That's back when they used to pick the corn, put it in a corn crib and shell it later. The cobs were free for the hauling. Matter of fact, I distinctly remember a wide d handle fork called a "cob fork", made for handling them. I'd like to have a nickel for every bushel basket of cobs I carried in. We used to also course grind the cobs and used them for litter in the chicken house. That old radiant heater would run all night on a couple bushel of cobs, once you got the internal stove red hot. My mom was still cooking on a wood cookstove when dad died in 1954. made the best home made bread you ever put in your mouth Wish I had either one of those stoves to put in my shop.

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #14  
Very nice looking stoves you guys have there.Wish I had one.

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #15  
Ive seen some of those we had some newer than that we used.

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #16  
There is on in a local store, huge, I can't figure out how they moved that monster around 100 years ago? Must weigh 2000 pounds.

mark

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #17  
Not a parlor stove but my wife grew up cooking on a wood cook stove and her family still cooks on it today.
Ours was a coal stove in the kitchen with removable rings to allow faster or slower heating of the pots..The oven was also filled by coal and we had what was called 'a bucket a day' hot water boiler. Lots of coal used and lots of ashes to haul outside which was nice in the winter to put on the sidewalks and in the garden in summer. No inside access to the cellar to feed the stove in the basement which made for some interesting times in the winter before school.

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #18  
Not as NICE as yours or as big but I always like the way the stoves looked. Found this one it's propane fired keeps the house comfortable. I'm going to try and post a picture? Gnome stove 003.jpg

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #19  
I grew up in the city, by the junction of a steel mill and the railroad switch yards. Our tiny house had the plain jane model setting in the middle of the house on some kinda metal plate. My sister slept on one side of the stove and me on the other. My folks' bedroom had no immediate heat. We had no bathroom (outhouse out back). In summer we slept on the porch or in the park. But my sister and I are still living, so the stove must have worked okay.:)

/ Are you old enough to have used one of these Parlor Stoves to heat (not by choice)? #20  
Great looking stove........we gave a similar stove to a local museum a few years back......thanks for sharing.