Loader Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick..

/ Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick.. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Ok, I'm not complaining here about the failure of a small part. Small parts fail. A pin of some kind (I never saw it all together and the part that broke off is gone) in the "shuttle" control broke and at 338 hours on the tractor, my 12A loader was non functional. Stuff happens, and I kept my cool and carefully removed the shroud and boot to see what was going on.

(I removed the link I had here because it didn't work. Will add photo when I get a chance.)

The pin (in the picture at that web site of the joystick control mechanism - the right side of the horizontal a little over the number 12. It is separate from the bolt that holds that ball joint to the side facing out by about a half inch or so, maybe a little less.) apparently broke off. It's the part that acts as the fulcrum for the up/down motion of the whole loader (height, not angle.) It could have been no big deal if it were just a pin, but for some probably valid engineering reasons I do not understand, it was welded at the "head" part, so the entire assembly would need to be replaced. No big deal, thought I, naive and unversed in the world of CNH parts.. It's about a half pound of metal, fairly intricate, but nothing more complex than you would find in several places, say, on your $99 computer case or a bicycle. It looked a little tricky to remove and replace, but I thought I could handle it ok. It's #12 in the picture. #12, with the exception of the bolted on "ball joint" that is visible is one piece with no sub parts for sale. So I looked up the price of the part, and found it to be between $300 and $400. Now, I had changed my filters and oils in the spring and when it cost me roughly $150 I didn't go ballistic or cry or anything, and I didn't whine when it cost me $13 to replace a rubber cover on a tiny foot pedal, but this was really a little bit much. There is also a "kit" available for about $500 which, I assume includes the part in question and the doodads that hook into it. I don't know but it would appear that's what it is, but there isn't a lot of info with it.

Naturally I set out to try to find a way to repair the thing without shelling out all that cash. I thought maybe that the "head" that is on the side of the "pin" (I'm calling it that but it probably has another name.) would tap out, but it is welded. That left two choices: either cut/grind it off or drill it. I opted for the latter, figuring if it comes to that, the former choice would still be a viable alternative. So as to prevent the chance of any metal shavings from getting into anything, I had to remove the part, which entailed some patient work, keeping calm in the face of tiny e clips and such, and carefully noting (took pictures just in case) where everything was supposed to go.. Spoke to the dealer whom I had emailed several times over the weekend in a panic because of the snow, and he seemed to think my ideas were at least worth a shot before shelling out several hundred bucks for a replacement.

Unfortunately, because of lack of clearance, my idea of a bolt and nut didn't work out too well because the only nut that will fit is a jam nut, and I really needed a lock nut to keep the thing together while leaving it loose enough to operate. I tried some thread lock and when all is together everything works smoothly but I have no delusions that the nut wills stay there for any length of time. Therefore I looked up online and found some pins in the proper diameter (5/16" is as close as I could determine, though it may actually be a metric very close to that - there seems to be a splendid mix of metric and SAE involved here.) and I'm hoping a pin will be able to withstand the forces both up and down (should be no problem) and side to side (which might be.) There is also the possibility of using the bolt/jam nut with either permanent loctite or a spot weld to lock it. Those are my ideas if the pin doesn't hold.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar experience who might have been able to successfully address this.

To tell the truth, given the complexity of this shuttle mechanism, and the expense entailed in replacing it, I'd almost prefer a two lever loader with two simple fulcrums.. One lever is handy, but not THAT handy..

The link doesn't work and I removed it, so tomorrow, I'll take a picture of what's going on..

Last edited:
   / Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick.. #2  
The link doesn't work and I removed it, so tomorrow, I'll take a picture of what's going on..

No pictures? Waiting. . .
impatient.gif

/ Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick..
Sorry, I got it together (semi-temporarily) yesterday and put the boot and shroud back on and forgot to take a picture. I am hoping that when I get a pin of the exact size to fit, it will be a permanent fix, but I have my doubts because it seems so much weaker than the original setup. A bolt and nut just isn't going to work unless the nut is permanently fixed onto it because they just walk off - can't be tightened because it prevents the lever from pivoting, so the only thing left for me is a pin. If the pin doesn't last, I'll have to do the nut and bolt thing and either use the permanent loctite or get a spot weld tucked in there to weld the nut to the bolt somehow.

The pin in there now is one of those hardware store ones with a hole every quarter inch or so and it's held on with a cotter pin on each side. Not a terribly strong arrangement, but then I just don't understand where so much leverage would ever be applied to need the very strong looking setup it had - and of course, that one broke!!

/ Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick.. #4  
I am not sure of what your circumstances are, but have you ever "double nutted" ? you can put a nut on a bolt and then put another nut on and take 2 open ended wrenches that fit the 2 nuts and tighten the nuts together into each other tightly by turning the wrenches in opposite directions with a lot of force. This will often keep the nuts from migrating along the bolt. Just an idea, might not work in your situation due to clearance issues or something. But worth a try if it will.

James K0UA

/ Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick.. #5  
Not having seen the problem, and not having the parts before me, do you think a shoulder screw and nut would work? If you are not familiar with them, they are a screw that has a head, then a straight section, typically precision ground, then a reduced size threaded section. For instance, McMaster Carr has many sizes. One of the 5/16 inch diameter ones has a 7/32 inch diameter head and 1/4-20 threads, with a 5/16 diameter length available from 1/4 inch to 5 inches. Just one of many examples. A good hardware store will have a few sizes. You can put a nut on it, and it will tighten at the foot of the unthreaded section. McMaster-Carr then search for shoulder screws.

I am hoping for pins to arrive today, and if they do I'll post a picture. Can't double nut because there isn't enough clearance. Only enough clearance for a jam nut, not even a full sized nut due to the pivoting in the other direction - left/right for angle of the bucket. I picked up a little bit of clearance by putting a lock washer on the bolt that holds the ball joint, but even that might be a problem because it slightly changes the position of the joint. Seems to operate smoothly though. I know my description is confusing, but I can't seem to link to the picture in the parts list, and even that picture is a very poor indicator of what things look like. Looking at what's left of the piece that broke, it would appear it was massively over-engineered for the job at hand, yet somehow broke in service.. Probably what's going to happen here long term is that the fix won't work, and I'll just end up biting the bullet on the $350 or so for the part, but it just seems crazy..

I don't understand how pictures are uploaded here. Is there any way to upload a picture into a post without putting it in a gallery?

/ Are you shuttling me? The Joys of Joystick.. #7  
I don't understand how pictures are uploaded here. Is there any way to upload a picture into a post without putting it in a gallery?

Yes, when you "Reply" to a message, make sure you are in Advanced mode with the Smilies displayed on the right side. Scroll down and you will see a "Manage Attachments" button. When you click on that button a popup window will open that allows you to select (by browsing your computer) up to four photos at one time. Then after the photos are selected, click on the "Upload" button. A few moments later, the names of the files uploaded will appear. Just close the select attachments window and the files are already attached to your reply. Submit it and they will show up as attachments in the thread.

BTW: If you have popups blocked, you may have to click on a bar at the top of your screen to allow the manage attachments window to appear.

Making inline photo attachments is slightly more complicated and probably you should become familiar with regular attachments before trying to learn additional methods.

EDIT: Oh yes, each attachment needs to be less than 1 MByte in size, so you may have to reduce your photos before posting. I find that reducing the photos to 640x480 or 800x600 to be sufficient to make them very small and easily uploaded.

Got the pin in the mail yesterday and put it in this morning. This is the way it looks now. The (tiny) clearance between the pin and the bolt holding the ball joint is enough to allow full movement of the loader lever without contact. I'm thinking that any condensation that freezes between the two ends might cause problems, but other than that, I can't see why it won't work. I had put a lock washer under the ball joint to give a little more clearance but the joint didn't look particularly happy with that little adjustment and it works without it with this pin in place, so I am hoping this will at least get me through the winter (when I use the loader a lot more) and I can take a look at it on the first warm sunny day of spring to see if there's a lot of wear on anything.

showphoto.php

Thanks, Jinman.. Does it show here? Yup.. good!

After I couldn't get a nut/bolt combo to work, this is my last best attempt. If this fails, I'll remove the part and take it to a machine shop and see if they can remove the old head of the original pin and either weld one like this into it or attach it somehow. By my measurement, even with that old head removed, there isn't enough clearance to get a 3/4 inch bolt or pin through from the inside - apparently it must be inserted before they weld the part together on the bottom.. that's my guess anyway.

The picture next to it is the CNH picture of the shuttle from the parts list - this is the part that runs $300-$350..

Attachments

• rube goldberg small.jpg
    rube goldberg small.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 175
  • shuttle.jpg
    shuttle.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited: