Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable?

/ Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable? #1  

WantedWolf

Gold Member
Tractor
ditch witch 6510
I think that it would be very important to slime the pins on a machine like a b.h. that is under heavy stress in dirty wet conditions all its life. And I think most I see are.

That said my pins are not greaseable and the dealer says not to tap them as they are solid pins with no grease gallery inside.

The chain sprocket pin was not greaseable but when I had it off I drilled it and added a zerk, It sure had a path for grease and it turned out great.
I never asked the dealers opinion about that, I wonder if it was a non tapable pin as well:rolleyes:.

Anyway has anyone ever tapped a solid pin for an application like this?
I see a few scratchs on the pins that are developing a bit of rust, and would like to get to this soon.

Im guessing if I drilled a port for the nipple in the head of the pin and 2 small outlets on the inner shaft, they should meet up and lube the inside of the bushing, even thou there would be no internal surpluss of grease. I would just have to add a shot grease more often. Any thoughts? :)

/ Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable? #2  
I can't say I have ever seen a non-gresable pin on a BH before, seems kind of dumb to me. Though it's great for the dealer in replacement parts.

Kind of reminds me of JerrDan rollback tow truck bodies. They alway's had grease fittings on the bed pivot pins, then a few years ago they decided to remove all the grease fittings on the bodies. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the broken bed pivot pins I have had to replace since that change. Before that I had never even seen a worn out one that was properly greased. I now drill them and tap them for a grease fitting. All the ones I have done so far have been trouble free.

/ Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable?
I was talking to a buddy today that gave me the idea to grind (carefully) a little grease tunnel spiraling on the pin so the grease can flow easy along the whole pin.

I like it.. and just need the time to tackle it. :rolleyes: nothing but time..

/ Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable? #4  
Mine definately has greaseable pins... Takes most of a tube of grease to do 'em all...

Some of em are drilled and tapped on both ends... My
machine has two bushings, one on each side... Should be
easy, just drill some small holes through where the
bushings ride and then drill the end till they meet up.
Tap the end and done...

:eek: Just counted and if I do the outriggers (also not currently greasable)
the grand total is 21 pins to drill tap and grind. :cool:

/ Are your B.H. joint pins greaseable? #7  
What backhoe do you have?

What backhoe do you have?

Its a A420 B.H. with 18' bucket mounted on a Ditch Witch 6510 4wd tractor
:DCounter balence to the giant chain saw:D

Attachments

• Dsc03133.jpg
    Dsc03133.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 116