ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND
On this series Kubota loader some of them are extended by about a 1/2".

Those are a bit harder to find. The ones I got were a little short and that makes it tough to get the gun off as the zerk is recessed.

The one of mine that broke actually isn't in a recess; It's just right on top of the loader's arm, on a large flat spot, easy to get to. But my grease gun just would not come off it, & the zerk finally broke.

Thanks to all for the replies - I'm gonna head over to Napa this eve & see if they've got some 8mm x 1.25 thread.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #12  
Be thankful you don't have to deal with the R and Rc thread sizes. At work a lot of our metric fittings use either M5 or M6 or R1/8 or R1/4. Mix that in with good old NPT, straight threads, and uni-threads and sometimes trying to find a replacement can be a real challenge.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #13  
I broke a fitting on my L853 loader boom pin and couldn't find a fit, until I grabbed my SAE assortment. Fit perfect.

If the gun won't come off (which is how I broke mine) I have two techniques, unscrew the 2 parts of the tip or let the gun sit a few minutes with some wiggling around. The jaws on the fitting are designed to grab harder the more pressure you apply with the gun.

The one of mine that broke actually isn't in a recess; It's just right on top of the loader's arm, on a large flat spot, easy to get to. But my grease gun just would not come off it, & the zerk finally broke.

Thanks to all for the replies - I'm gonna head over to Napa this eve & see if they've got some 8mm x 1.25 thread.

/ ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #14  
I find the gun will come right off if you tip the coupler sideways off the zerk. Seems to release pressure and let go. When you havnt got room it can be tuf.
larry

I find the gun will come right off if you tip the coupler sideways off the zerk. Seems to release pressure and let go. When you havnt got room it can be tuf.
larry

That was my first try, to tip it/ lean it to the side, in all directions after it wouldn't release ... none worked. It was like it was locked on there. I even tried pulling straight back. In fact, I could stand on the front tire & pull straight back, the perfect angle, & still wouldn't come off. Finally, after enough moving it all around, the zerk just broke off.

Recall that the "8mm x 1.25 thread" zerk of mine that broke was at the top of my LA724 loader's rollback cylinder. When I went to remove the broken threaded part from the cylinder, it was very loose, came right out no wrench needed.

So ... When replacing that broken one with a new one I finally got from McMaster-Carr, I decided I'd make sure none of the other zerks were loose, too.

Also recall that the broken one takes a 9mm socket.

Well ... I found that all the zerks at the ends of the loader arms near the bucket all take a 5/16" socket :confused2:

Surprising Kubota would mix & match like this.

Edit: Sorry, I had to edit 1/4" to 5/16" ... made a mistake there

Last edited:
   / ARGH! Broken zerk grease fitting for L3940 HARD TO FIND #17  
Well we lknow the loader structure is made in the USA, cylinders?? Japan or someplace and imported in? All I know is that with both the Metric kits and SAE I got most of it covered......now if the start using British threded stuff I WILL GO HUNTING for somebody.

David Kb7uns