ARGHHHH!!!!

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #1  

Dozernut

Veteran Member
Tractor
ZD1211, RTV900, LX2610SU and a SVL65 CTL
Opening season for deer, out before the sun, perfect spot and the wind is right. Beautiful 10 point buck within 50 yards of my stand. I slowed my breath, remembered to gently stroke the trigger and my black powder rifle SNAPPED! The cap went off but the powder did not. Mr. Murphy sure got up early to kick my butt today. Sorry, I had to rant!

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #2  
Dozernut,
I hear you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Two days ago my neigbor had what he called a road hunting accident happen on 30 acres he owns across the street. This guy constantly drives up and down the road until he spots his deer, then fair game and open fire, doesnt bother to ask permission to hunt on our property! My neighbor didnt see the humor in it that day and called the game warden, funny thing is, if he asked my neighbor would have probablly said yes! But not sittin in his pickup truck. Youll get one the next time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

scotty

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #3  
Seems like hunting from a truck is illegal. It's OK to hit them with your truck though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #4  
Hunting from a truck is legal here but I don't want to meet the requirements. You have to be disabled to do so.

Harry K

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #5  
So have you figured out what was wrong?
Wet powder?
Not rammed enough?

Did you then reload it, after pulling the ball (or slug)?

I recall the need to wait for some period of time for it to go off as there may be a 'slow' burn going. Just curious what happened 'after' the gun didn't go off.

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #6  
I think the first thing I would try is another cap real quickly and quietly. If that doesn't work, maybe throw a rock.

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #7  
I had the same thing happen with a new rifle I HAD.
A browning bar in 30.06 It has a magazine and it did not fire, so I ejected the shell only to have it stove pipe out the side. and another one behind it. After all the noise was made , the trophy buck just pranced away. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Needless to say I sold that rifle the next day for the same thing in a 308 and it works flawlessly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I put a trijicon 3x9x40 on it with the different color cross hairsto get that early & late shot capability. I still dream about the big one that got away. I learned that an 06 is just to long a case for a semi auto to feed 100% of the time.

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #8  
I had a special late season tag for blacktail deer in Northern California one year. Muzzleloaders only.

I was seeing bucks everyday, but nothing huge. They were rutting hard, so it was a matter of time. It was also raining and snowing, off and on.

I spotted a group of does with a large buck keeping them company. I crawled over the last hill on my belly to about 80 yards. Put in a fresh cap, aimed and squeezed.

The cap went off, but the powder didn't ignite. This was the first time that had happened to me. I'd read that you count to ten before doing anything just to be sure.

At around 7 or 8, it went off. I wasn't concentrating on my site picture like I should have, but was more concerned with the misfire.

I missed.

Two days later, I shot a blacktail that qualifies for the longhunter record book if I wanted to enter it. I don't, but it was a much better buck than the one I missed.

Hang in there, you still have your tag and anythign is possible.

Eddie

/ ARGHHHH!!!!
I had a high/low temp. lube that got into the flash hole and prevented ignition. Forgot to snap a couple of caps to clear out the lube before getting in the stand /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, then it was too late! Couldn't throw that durn rifle far enough to hit him and was fresh out of rocks. Oh well, he will likely grow bigger in the telling and maybe sire future trophies.

/ ARGHHHH!!!! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I learned that an 06 is just to long a case for a semi auto to feed 100% of the time. )</font>

Better not tell that to all of the Garands that have been working since 1937. Or all of the people that have used them.

It wasnt the cartridge, it was a cleaning problem, a lubrication problem or a lemon. From shooting a lot of 06 in highpower, lube is the first thing to look at, then cleaning, most likely you would find your problem there.

As to caps that misfire. Come to PA, in the real muzzle loader season we use flintlocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif