arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #11  
I'm not too allergic to PI but my wife gets terrible rashes just by looking at the stuff. We've been lucky to discover that Fels Naptha Soap works great in cleaning off any of the oils and can even be shaved into the clothes wash to clean off fabrics. We keep a bar beside all of our sinks and we both always wash up with it after working outside. It's been a few years since she had an episode. It's easy to miss but usually can be found in most grocery stores in the laundry soap section.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #12  
It should be noted that the reaction to contact with poison ivy is your own immune system response. The oil it's self is not toxic or damaging to skin in any way, but it triggers a response from most people. Much like an antibody innoculation, your body reacts to the presence of PI by building an un-needed defense mechanism that kills the problem while also killing the patient. A Good system gone haywire.

Most people don't have this reaction with first exposure, and some people (I call them all Lucky) Never react. That is why some people "don't get PI".

This also explains why different "treatments" are effective for different people. There is no single best treatment, though there will be a best treatment for YOU.

Add to the complexity, ones immuno response can and likely does change with exposure. You might get an increased reaction, of just the opposite.

I get the reaction quite easily now, after having considered myself pretty much resistant for my childhood and young adult life.

I got it bad once already this season while cutting up a downed tree... Thought I had it out of the area.....

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #13  
I'll second the Fels-Naptha soap, that's what I always used when I was logging in my early 20's. A few months back, I was out in East Texas helping a friend drop some 125' dead pines. He had poison ivy growing everywhere and I was convinced I'd get covered up with it.

Immediately after we finished in the woods, I went straight to the shower with a bottle of Dawn dish soap. I did a lather-rinse-repeat over my entire body and to my surprise, I didn't get a single bit of rash.

My thinking is that just like the Fels-Naptha, the Dawn dish detergent breaks up the ivy oil and allows it to get rinsed from the skin. If you're in a pinch, try some of the dish soaps, I think they might be just as effective.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #14  
I'll second the Fels-Naptha soap, that's what I always used when I was logging in my early 20's. A few months back, I was out in East Texas helping a friend drop some 125' dead pines. He had poison ivy growing everywhere and I was convinced I'd get covered up with it.

Immediately after we finished in the woods, I went straight to the shower with a bottle of Dawn dish soap. I did a lather-rinse-repeat over my entire body and to my surprise, I didn't get a single bit of rash.

My thinking is that just like the Fels-Naptha, the Dawn dish detergent breaks up the ivy oil and allows it to get rinsed from the skin. If you're in a pinch, try some of the dish soaps, I think they might be just as effective.

Dawn is really good at cutting the oil. Most people have a couple hours from exposure to get it off your skin before you're stuck with whatever reaction you have. It's best to wash with cold water so your skin doesn't open up and let the oils in deeper.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #15  
Move above 3500'. :D Out of posion oak's range; it grows from sea level to that 3000-3500' range.

We always have bottles of Technu at the fire station and on the engines...

Remember, the oils get on stuff; dogs, tractors, fire hose... I have got PO from working on the tractor week after having drove thru it. Also, got helping clean hose just reurning from brush fires..

Technu works great. Best I have found is homemade lye soap. Best was when my Grandmother made soap; lye soap made from lard she rendered. My wife makes lye soap now, with rendered lard from the store.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #16  
Also use Luke warm water at best, hot water will open up the pores of the skin and allow it to creep in.