Asking B2601 owners about traction...

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #1  

old and tired

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2800 HST
Friend has 100 acres but "usable land" hardly none. His main use would be to fix up his steep gravel driveway. I would guess that R1/ag tires are a must for traction. The tractor is pretty light, how well does a B2602 (or possibly B2301) do with traction?

Worried that he needs to step up to a L2501 but the heavier tractor comes with a heavy price tag... Trying to see if a "B" can handle the task of pulling a land plan (maybe 4 footer) up hill?? Any insight welcomed....

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #2  
I'd be looking at something around 40 HP, if it were me. And the 100 acres is just waiting for some project that needs something larger than 26 HP.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #3  
My 2400H would be similar size to a Kubota B26**. I have R1 tires, rears filled with rim guard and the limiting factor is traction. I suspect could pull 4 ft land plane but that will barely cover the tire tracks. I use 5 ft box blade and roll gravel over the top but my property is flat.

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #4  
Had friends that bought property off the Cherohala Skyway (The Dragon). Had a cabin built and new to tractoring. First bought a used B20 on my recommendation then in a few years upgraded to a new B26. Maintain long steep driveway, sometimes forest road access and many building projects etc. Big difference in capabilities and price between B26 and B2601. Meets their time and DIY needs.

We also use a B26, ballasted, wheel extensions, and love the little rascal on our hillside farm. Prefer the R4 tires as it is our lawn, orchard, and berry patch mower.

Use M59 for most driveway maintenance. The B26 could do it but the bigger tractor can do it much 8-10X faster. Can dress the 1/2 mile driveway with 6’ land plane in 30 minutes. Take a half day+ with B26.

Hard enough trying to figure out the best equipment options for yourself. For someone else it is always a hard guess.

Last edited:
   / Asking B2601 owners about traction...
I'd be looking at something around 40 HP, if it were me. And the 100 acres is just waiting for some project that needs something larger than 26 HP.

Cheers,
Mike
Their trails are just wide enough for ATV. Right now they weedwacking their trails, looking for an excuse to buy a tractor!!! Land is pretty steep otherwise.

My 2400H would be similar size to a Kubota B26**. I have R1 tires, rears filled with rim guard and the limiting factor is traction. I suspect could pull 4 ft land plane but that will barely cover the tire tracks. I use 5 ft box blade and roll gravel over the top but my property is flat.
Have you tried loading up the front bucket to get more traction? Wonder if that would help, or is the added weight more detrimental??

I recommended he look at L2501 but that's just out of his price range and that would be a very tight fit on the trails.

Was going to start another thread but....WTH. Anyone run turf tires WITH chains on for better traction? or does nothing beat R1/Ag for traction?

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #7  
Have you tried loading up the front bucket to get more traction? Wonder if that would help, or is the added weight more detrimental??

I recommended he look at L2501 but that's just out of his price range and that would be a very tight fit on the trails.

Was going to start another thread but....WTH. Anyone run turf tires WITH chains on for better traction? or does nothing beat R1/Ag for traction?
About the only thing that beats R1 tires, are R1 Radial tires. A lot wider and will run at very low pressures so it provides a lot of traction and also rides a lot better.

These pictures are a great example of the differences. R1 Radials on the left tires and R1 bias on the right tires.

100716124_277439513401236_7525635760406396928_n.jpg
101578448_277439463401241_7726890763891507200_n.jpg

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #8  
Anyone run turf tires WITH chains on for better traction? or does nothing beat R1/Ag for traction?
Did that for a few times w/ my B7610 when we had about 20" of snow on top of frozen rain in Northern Va. We'd get a storm come through, lay down about half an inch of ice, next storm almost immediately there after would pile the snow on top. Worked well.

Did that for a few times w/ my B7610 when we had about 20" of snow on top of frozen rain in Northern Va. We'd get a storm come through, lay down about half an inch of ice, next storm almost immediately there after would pile the snow on top. Worked well.
I know it works well with snow... but wondered if someone tried it with gravel. I guess too many factors, main one being if it's loose gravel or packed down. Theirs were on the loose gravel side.

My guess is you need more weight per foot print to get traction. Turf tire spreads out that weight over a larger area so it's less pounds per given area and would not be good in this case...

/ Asking B2601 owners about traction... #10  
Chains will potentially dig into gravel more than R1 but I believe would slide easier on rock than rubber tires would.
Hard packed gravel turf might be similar to R1 but loose gravel R1 wins.

Yes adding weight in loader helps especially going up hill. Being old school I still believe front tires should do less than 25% of pulling so only load front when really slippery or potential of lofting the front end.