Rotary Cutter Asking for anyone's 2 cents...

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #11  
Thanks sixdogs,

I'd like to have the funds to do just that, but not an option for any kind of foreseeable future.

The seller is asking $325. Comes with some used and a new set of blades. Also 2 used stump jumpers and another tail wheel, used as well.

Can't really argue with the price, and with the spares, seems like it should go for some more years.

If it has grease on the pto U-joints and gear oil in the gearbox and if you can spin it effortlessly by hand-turning the pto shaft, it's probably OK. And you'll have enough spare parts to fix the business end of that mower.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents...
Watching it in action is an option if you bring your own tractor. Tell the seller that is what you want to do and see how he responds. If he says "you break it - you buy it", don't.

Unfortunately :( , I don't have a trailer capable of hauling my tractor, but the idea is an excellent one.

Look over the weld seams and lift frame for any cracks. Not really a big issue if you have a welder.

And pull the plig on the gearbox. Check the oil level. And it may have had grease put in their also. Which isnt necessarially a bad thing, it just means the seal is probabally shot.

I do have a welder, so small cracks aren't a problem. As for the grease in the gearbox, thanks for the heads up on that. I hadn't heard of that one and should I have seen that, might have caused me to pass. Now that I know why it's there, I can evaluate the rest of the cutter for what kind of overall condition it is in.

If the seller won't have a tractor bring yours. Was going to buy a used jinma chipper and fortunetly brought my own tractor. Couldn't get it to run so left it.

Once again, great idea, I wish that I could take my tractor and truly see it in action.

If it has grease on the pto U-joints and gear oil in the gearbox and if you can spin it effortlessly by hand-turning the pto shaft, it's probably OK. And you'll have enough spare parts to fix the business end of that mower.

You are describing what I'll have to likely go on for a buy/don't buy decision

Thanks to all for the wonderful pointers and ideas. I truly appreciate all the help and advice.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #13  
Glad that "no running tractor PTO" thing raises flags. That would bother me as well and might, depending on other things, make me queston more issues. The fact you are traveling an hour certainly raises the price and adds $25 to $75 to the actual price, depending on accounting. Plus your time.
In years past I have gone on many a road trip and, while even the bad ones were good, I could have been a little more cautions. If a seller is the least bit vague, I keep restating the question until I figure out what's going on. Vague to me that remains unanswered is a big warning sign.

sixdogs,

I asked the standard, "Why are you selling question?" His answer was that he bought it, used it once, and it has been sitting in a garage or shed for 3 years. Said the area that he intended to use it he had a change of mind about and finish mows it, not rough cut.

It kind of sounded like he might just have a riding mower and nothing with a PTO takeoff, period. Though he did say "tractors".

I've passed on numerous ones so far. So this isn't a great loss. My problem is that I want one that is 6' or 7' in size, and there aren't a lot of those floating around. 7' is almost impossible to come by.

Thanks for your advice.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #15  
sixdogs,

I asked the standard, "Why are you selling question?" His answer was that he bought it, used it once, and it has been sitting in a garage or shed for 3 years. Said the area that he intended to use it he had a change of mind about and finish mows it, not rough cut.

Thanks for your advice.

If true, I like that answer he gave.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #16  
My problem is that I want one that is 6' or 7' in size, and there aren't a lot of those floating around. 7' is almost impossible to come by.

Thanks for your advice.

Very true indeed.

5' hogs are by far the most numerous and cheapest. "dime a dozen" around here. 4 footers are still commanding a premium. 6' bushhogs are hit and miss. And kep in mind that not all 6' cutters are alike. There are the ones that are built just like a 5' cutter and are lighter duty. Most likely similar to the one you are looking at. 600-700lbs and dont cost much more than a 5 footer new.

And then there are the 6 footers that are built like tanks. over 1000lbs and cost 2x's as much new. THOSE are good cutters and sometimes you can get a steal on them, because people selling them just assume they are like all the other 6' cutters on c-list bringing $300-$500.

My $200 score on a Bushhog 306 is a prime example. It is older and needed a little welding. But there is no arguing with a 90HP gearbox and 1100lb cutter:D

Point being, kingkutter DOES make a heavier version cutter. Allthough I dont know if they did back when that one was made. The newer ones can be identified by the i-beam sides. IF this one happens to be one of them heavier units, I'd say it is a steal at that price. If it is the lighter one, the price is still very fair provided you check it out and it is still in good working condition.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #17  

Good Afternoon Big Wave D,
I agree with Flusher on this one, and Roy Jackson made a good point on checking the fluid in the gearbox...

A number of years ago I bought a Bush hog Squealer used and paid $500 for it, other than touching up the blades now and then its been maintainence free...

The mower came from one owner, and appeared to be in pretty good structual condition, actually not much different than yours, although the paint on my unit wasnt quite as faded as yours...

I dont know if the seller will dicker, but you might be able to offer $300, and thats a good buy in my eyes if your gearbox is in good shape ! ;)

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #18  
As RoyJackson suggested watch it run. Some will vibrate so badly they will shake you off your tractor. Something a visual check won't always catch.

Point being, kingkutter DOES make a heavier version cutter. Allthough I dont know if they did back when that one was made. The newer ones can be identified by the i-beam sides. IF this one happens to be one of them heavier units, I'd say it is a steal at that price. If it is the lighter one, the price is still very fair provided you check it out and it is still in good working condition.

I've seen what you are talking about, differing grades of build or construction. Hard to tell from picture, but it appears to be lighter duty build. However, sometimes on the older units, lighter duty is almost what they pass off as "heavy duty" today. We shall see.

Good Afternoon Big Wave D,
I agree with Flusher on this one, and Roy Jackson made a good point on checking the fluid in the gearbox...

A number of years ago I bought a Bush hog Squealer used and paid $500 for it, other than touching up the blades now and then its been maintainence free...

Kind of what I'm hoping for myself. "... and they lived happily ever after..." :laughing:

As RoyJackson suggested watch it run. Some will vibrate so badly they will shake you off your tractor. Something a visual check won't always catch.

Been there, experienced that. Totally agree. Only things is, I don't have a way to either take my tractor or see it work behind something of his. Haven't figured out yet how to take it for a test drive. We don't live in an overly trusting society any more and that's a shame.

Have a fellow down the road, let me try out his flail mower. He said I could use it for a bit. That's been over a year ago. I've stopped and asked him if he wanted it back. He said he wasn't concerned. I was treating it better than he was. Saw it rotting in a fence row oringinally. Lives in a barn now.

/ Asking for anyone's 2 cents... #20  
them cutters are light ,grass cutting is what it is for.turn the shaft if the blades turn its probably alright. one other thing to look for is the gear box being loose . high hour hogs loosen up the bolts holding the box on.