Asphalt paving cost

/ Asphalt paving cost #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
We're looking to have part of our driveway paved to help with the mud. We're doing 3000 sq/ft. I'm getting quoted $2/sq/ft for grading (we already have a suitable base) and then putting down 2" of hot rolled asphalt, 2 ton static roller.

Does this price sound good?

/ Asphalt paving cost #2  
Doesn't seem to bad of a price. If you could grade the base yourself to where all they needed to do was roll it down just before paving to reduce cost. I would really try and get it 3" or at least 2 1/2" thick? It would pro long the lifespan greatly.

/ Asphalt paving cost #3  
Doesn't seem to bad of a price. If you could grade the base yourself to where all they needed to do was roll it down just before paving to reduce cost. I would really try and get it 3" or at least 2 1/2" thick? It would pro long the lifespan greatly.

Depending on your drainage, freeze-thaw cycles and vehicals weight 2" is a little shy for a long term solution.
We recently replaced a 2" driveway that lasted about 5 years before becoming an alligatored mess. Our ultimate replacement choice was re-processed (ground asphalt) it was a whole lot less expensive, holding up well and has a
Much more sophisticated look than a Wal-Mart parking lot. We put down about 4".

/ Asphalt paving cost #4  
2 inches is not enough , 3 inches of asphalt with a 4 inch compacted base will last . Without a good base whats on top wont last .

/ Asphalt paving cost #5  
Make sure your 2" is the same as the asphalt guy's 2".

I had mine done and the guy said he would put down 3" for the agreed price. He did put down 3" but, then he compacted the fluffy 3" down to about 1.5" or less. It only took 3 years for it to start falling apart.

/ Asphalt paving cost #6  
I would recommend three or four inches of hot mix asphalt done in two lifts.

/ Asphalt paving cost #7  
Typical minor paved county road, with less than 2000 vehicles per day, 12" stabilized subgrade, 6" limerock base, 1.5" Sp-12.5 asphalt. Material price for asphalt is $58-65/ton. 2" thick (finished/2.5" loose) = 165-167.5 lbs per square yard. So, that's roughly $5.40/square Yard in material, or roughly $0.60/sf. I can't comment on labor and mobilization rates in your area, but...

Any time an Asphalt guy talks in square feet, worry! Asphalt is generally priced in square yards or tons, and the only reason they would quote in square feet is to disguise there price.

2 ton roller on 2" of asphalt is not good enough. I know it's not a road, but 5 or 6 tons and vibratory would be more appropriate.

/ Asphalt paving cost #8  
I would recommend three or four inches of hot mix asphalt done in two lifts.

Major state roads use 4-4.5" of asphalt in my area. Parking lots and drive ways use 1.25-1.5" normally. Not idea where the OP is, so northern weather might change it. Very common to spec 1.25" on 6" rock here. It's probably false economy to go less than 1.5" (165 lbs/Sq yard).

If your base is good, the asphalt should last fine.

/ Asphalt paving cost #9  
We're looking to have part of our driveway paved to help with the mud. We're doing 3000 sq/ft. I'm getting quoted $2/sq/ft for grading (we already have a suitable base) and then putting down 2" of hot rolled asphalt, 2 ton static roller.

Does this price sound good?

That's around 36 tons, or just under two loads. Mobilization for this job is probably nothing more than a small Leeboy, roller, and maybe a grade tractor; one trip on a pintle hook trailer, and send the dump truck for asphalt. Paving it should take all of about 2 hours. So, figure $65×36 for material; maybe 5 guys at $100/day; equipment at $150/hour; seems like he's at about 100% mark up for profit.....

/ Asphalt paving cost #10  
Make sure your 2" is the same as the asphalt guy's 2".

I had mine done and the guy said he would put down 3" for the agreed price. He did put down 3" but, then he compacted the fluffy 3" down to about 1.5" or less. It only took 3 years for it to start falling apart.

Typically you figure 1/4" per inch compaction. So to get 2" finished, behind the paver; before rolling, you should have 2.5". Now, that already should have a significant amount of compaction from the paver's screed. Lighter pavers, less compaction from the paver. Cut off shoes and spreader boxes=no compaction from the laying operation.