Asphalt question

/ Asphalt question #1  

elmer4413

Tractor
Kubota L3800
I have a Kubota L3800 and a long flat driveway out at my farm. I recently re-paved my lot at my business and had all of the asphalt grindings hauled out to my farm so I can lay them down my driveway for hopefully a nice semi-paved looking driveway. What would be the best way to lay these down and get a good base? Would the tractor and blade do a good enough job or should I invest in a box blade or something else? The guy that owns the paving company did say to wait until it gets hot outside before I lay it down but other than that what else would be a good plan of attack? Thanks for any replies.

/ Asphalt question #2  
Well first off don't wait too long with the pile in the hot sun or it will turn into a solid mass you need a demo hammer to get apart. As the grindings came from a parking lot there is probably no stone left in them bigger then 3/8 inch and what you have is some coarse sand stuck together with some twenty year old black glue. That being the case you don't want to put them down too thick or trucks will settle in them when parked on them on hot summer days. keep the layer you put out thin about three inches thick and roll or plate compact it during the heat of the day. When you get it done you might want to put on a double coat of asphalt emulsion sealer to lock it all in and juice up any dry spots you get in your grindings.