Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #11  
I have asphalt in my pole barn. I have a 12x72' isleway, 6 foot apron on the front, 8 foot on the back. I love it. Haven't had any issues with it. I have clydesdales that walk on it, haven't seen any disfigure in it. Cost me 1.86 a square foot. that was everything, rock, material and labor. Putting costs side by side, I couldn't poor my own concrete myself at that cost with concrete, forms, rock, rebar and equipment rental. Plus the GOOD FRIENDS to help poor 23 yards of concrete. A friend of mine has had asphalt in his horse barn for 10 years, can't smell anything, doesn't get hot in the summer like most would think it would. My 2 cents from experience with it

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #12  
Asphalt slab in a pole barn does work and its about 20 % the cost of concrete. I have a friend that has asphalt in his 60 X120 pole barn it is sealed yearly. and looks great after 10 or 11 years

With that said he understood asphalt and he poured an outer curb in his pole barn that is ~ 5 or 6 inches wide and about 14-16 inches deep with concrete --this has kept he asphalt from spreading out. He puts 4'X4' 3/4 plywood under his jack stands and dosent get the indentations he also uses the same type of plywood pieces under his RV and dosent get indentations from it

He does get all of the spills gas, oil diesel paint thinner etc and he does wipe them up ok but because its sealed well it dosent seem to have a problem

While its not what I would do it does work with a few precautions and some maintenence

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #13  
Jim,

Asphalt has it's places, but parking areas usually aren't a great use. Asphalt doesn't handle point loads and fuel spills well. You'll never see a port or area with heavy point loads with an asphalt surface.

Asphalt for a driveway...great, it's got some desirable characteristics including snow melt. In a shop? For your uses an asphalt shop might be fine. I wouldn't want an asphalt floor in a shop with a creepers, implements, hammers and spilled oil.

Joe

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #15  
Do it right. Do it once. Go with concrete.

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #16  
This thread is 5 years old.

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #17  
9 out of 10 Pole Barns I know of have concrete. The ones that do not have gravel.

Chris

/ Asphalt Slab in Pole Barn #20  
Asphalt slab in a pole barn does work and its about 20 % the cost of concrete. I have a friend that has asphalt in his 60 X120 pole barn it is sealed yearly. and looks great after 10 or 11 years

With that said he understood asphalt and he poured an outer curb in his pole barn that is ~ 5 or 6 inches wide and about 14-16 inches deep with concrete --this has kept he asphalt from spreading out. He puts 4'X4' 3/4 plywood under his jack stands and dosent get the indentations he also uses the same type of plywood pieces under his RV and dosent get indentations from it

He does get all of the spills gas, oil diesel paint thinner etc and he does wipe them up ok but because its sealed well it dosent seem to have a problem

While its not what I would do it does work with a few precautions and some maintenence

I have concrete in all my barns. I don't have to worry about any indentions, oil spills or the leveling jacks on my 37,000 RV sinking into the floor. I personally wouldn't used asphalt in a pole barn if it were free.