At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,641  
Get some ramps and drive the lawn mower into the back of the truck. Harbor freight has them on sale all the time. I would use the back of the truck for boards and things too. For the stuff around the property a small flatbed trailer with stake pockets can be very versatile with a little work. My go to is always Craigslist to find a deal.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,642  
   / At Home In The Woods #3,643  
Short trailer + long tow vehicle (truck) = no hope of backing it up. Just so you know...

Put the mower in the back of the truck as Tororider said. Not hard, especially if you use a little hill to your advantage to cut the angle.

If you find you need a small trailer on rare occasions, rent it. If you need it frequently, then consider buying, but again, you will never be able to back it up with that truck...

Go post in Trailers and Transportation for better answers

/ At Home In The Woods #3,644  
Short trailer + long tow vehicle (truck) = no hope of backing it up. Just so you know...

Put the mower in the back of the truck as Tororider said. Not hard, especially if you use a little hill to your advantage to cut the angle.

If you find you need a small trailer on rare occasions, rent it. If you need it frequently, then consider buying, but again, you will never be able to back it up with that truck...

Go post in Trailers and Transportation for better answers

Good point about the current truck being too big for a small trailer, BUT he asked about SMALL trailers. I advised based on question posed, and will now add; buy a smaller tow vehicle too. :thumbsup:

/ At Home In The Woods #3,645  
Think about a lumber rack for the truck and ramps for your lawnmower.

I have a 6.5' bed F-150 with a lumber rack.

The longest item I have carried was a 26' long PT 6"x6" for a temporary power pole. Drove it 500 miles without a problem. It can easily handle 20' boards and even two 24" plastic culverts at the same time. 20' sections of rebar are easy. Loading is often a 2 man job, but I can unload it by myself just by getting in the truck bed and carefully throwing stuff over the side. Fold the outside mirrors in before unloading the rack. A direct hit from a piece of 4" sewer pipe will break them off. Do not ask how I know this. Wherever you buy your materials will have a guy to help you load the rack. If you need more material than will fit on it, get it delivered.

The lumber rack also gives you a hard frame to tie large loads to. Reefer, stove, washer, drier, etc.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,646  
I believe he also said he could use the tractor for moving the trailer around the property, so a small flatbed could still be useful.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,647  
Curly Dave,

You tie large loads of reefer to your truck?:confused2::laughing:
Hopefully it is not burning while driving down the HIGHway!

/ At Home In The Woods #3,648  
Curly Daves story reminds me of something I seen once. I was going around 465, the loop around Indianapolis, one Saturday morning when I seen a Suburban with something hanging under it. I knew right away what it was since my BIL is in the Seamless Gutter business. He had what had to be a 35' piece of seamless gutter hanging under it. Had it sticking out the front and rear of a late model Suburban a good 12' on each end. Had it tied up to the rear hitch in the back and to the front tow hooks on the front.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,649  
We've been building the corner set of shelves. I pre-assembled the 2x2 frames that support the OSB shelves. We then started installing the bottom shelf and moved upward to install the second shelf from the bottom.

When we finished installing the second shelf, it was quitting time. As I looked at the two shelves we installed in that corner that is located in the basement garage, it occurred to me that that spot would make a great spot for a workbench. Originally we intended to have 5 shelves. We are now going to skip installing the middle shelf so we can use the shelves as a workbench.

We will still install the two top shelves now as planned. If we had thought of using it as a workbench at the beginning, we would have changed the dimensions a bit. Right now each shelf has one 2' x 5.5' OSB and one 16" x 4' OSB. I would rather the 16" deep shelf be 2.5' deep but I'm not going to tear it apart and rebuild it. At some point in the future, I might add another 14" to the front of the shallow shelf to give me a 2.5' deep workspace.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 170
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,650  
Think about a lumber rack for the truck and ramps for your lawnmower.
CurlyDave,
I never considered a lumber rack. That's a great suggestion. However, I also want to use the trailer to haul stuff around our property with the tractor so the lumber rack won't help me there.

Obed