At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,681  
You might get another chance at the loading ramp : Seriously you should get started on where the garden is going to go, and some how fit the plan for a storage shed in that area, then cut the trees down and grade out where building would, in the future go, plus the loading dock, and the garden.....I think the soil for the garden could be turned and limed now, and an overall garden plan begin to be thought out...:) not that you don`t have enough other projects on your mind Tony
Tony,
Yes, now is the time to start thinking about the garden. An equipment shed is not on the horizon for the time being. I could imagine putting in a wood shed first. However, I could potentially envision a single shed housing some firewood, the wood splitter, and the tractor. I would want a wood shed to be fairly close to the house. I don't know if we have a big enough flat space near the house for a shed that is sized for firewood, wood splitter, and tractor.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,682  
Tony,
Yes, now is the time to start thinking about the garden. An equipment shed is not on the horizon for the time being. I could imagine putting in a wood shed first. However, I could potentially envision a single shed housing some firewood, the wood splitter, and the tractor. I would want a wood shed to be fairly close to the house. I don't know if we have a big enough flat space near the house for a shed that is sized for firewood, wood splitter, and tractor.

Obed

Thats why you build one big one or 3 or more small ones. Ever seen a farm or homestead they have out buildings all over. My family farm had a tobacco barn a regular barn for horses and hay, both now gone. A wood shed, carshed, chicken house and the other barn with cow loading area.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,683  
I think we're done building shelves for awhile. But then again, I had thought that before.

I'm quite pleased with how the shelves have turned out. My wife actually did a lot more of the work on this last set of shelves than I did. I installed the upright 2x4s against the concrete wall. My wife cut and assembled the 2x2 frames. Then we worked together to install the frames and screw the OSB boards onto the frames.

We now have approximately 18'x2' of shelves, 5 shelves high. Plus we have 4'x16" shelves, 5 shelves high.

It will be nice when we get the clutter in the basement is finally organized. Until we got some shelves, cleaning up the basement was almost futile.

Several people suggested we buy shelves instead of build them. Their comments have a lot of validity. Buliding the shelves took a lot of time, much because we are slow and too detailed for this kind of project. We have less than $250 in materials in the shelves. However, our time is a factor in the cost. With all that said, I'm glad we built instead of bought.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120102_121425.png
    ForumRunner_20120102_121425.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 173
  • ForumRunner_20120102_121541.png
    ForumRunner_20120102_121541.png
    425.4 KB · Views: 245
  • ForumRunner_20120102_121610.png
    ForumRunner_20120102_121610.png
    406.5 KB · Views: 212
  • ForumRunner_20120102_121649.png
    ForumRunner_20120102_121649.png
    401.4 KB · Views: 241
   / At Home In The Woods #3,684  
Nice job Obed....You did it yourself and saved some money and the time was spent with your Mrs. and daughter so that was good time not wasted and the shelves were built to fit the space with quality like you wanted ...All is fine until your Mrs. decides she needs more shelves...LOL

/ At Home In The Woods #3,685  
Hate to say it but what are you planning on doing when you go to finish that space? I bet you will want your man cave on part of that area one day.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,686  
Hate to say it but what are you planning on doing when you go to finish that space? I bet you will want your man cave on part of that area one day.

Yes but even if he does, it looks to me like he and his wife have done such a good job at constructing the shelves that he could easily finish them and even add some hinges and cabinet doors and make them into built in bookcases or storage that would be very attractive and would fit nicely into any den or man cave.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,687  
Oh boy, the safety post police are bound to notice that bent top on the step ladder. They all have stickers that read -NOT A STEP - and it looks like somebody didn't pay attention. :-0

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,688  
clemsonfor said:
That's a good point. Fortunately we did consider that when we located the shelves. We have floor plan drawings for the basement for when/if we ever finish the basement. The shelves are in the utility room and garage that will never get finished, even if we finish the basement. So I do not foresee any issue.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,689  
brin said:
Yes but even if he does, it looks to me like he and his wife have done such a good job at constructing the shelves that he could easily finish them and even add some hinges and cabinet doors and make them into built in bookcases or storage that would be very attractive and would fit nicely into any den or man cave.
brin,
I hadn't considered that possibility. We took care to make the shelves square; they could be turned into cabinets if desired though I doubt we would have a need for them.
Obed

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #3,690  
Obed:

How did your wife get into that small space on the top shelf (see attached image)? Surely she didn't stand on top of that little ladder with the bent shelf :D:laughing:
I almost didn't notice that it was a person. She is really a contortionist folded up like that. Looks like she has a drill in her hand.

You two are quite the team. Good work and satisfying too I'll bet.

We passed through your area during the holidays and would have enjoyed driving by to see your place in person but it was a long and tiring trip and we hadn't asked your permission. Maybe next time we will make an appointment with you to stop and see the fine home place you two have created.

Always enjoy seeing what you are up to next.

Arkaybee

Attachments

• 244461d1325524487t-home-woods-forumrunner_20120102_121541.png
    244461d1325524487t-home-woods-forumrunner_20120102_121541.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 470