At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,482  
I recently got to grill my first steaks on our deck using our "new" $25 grill. I'm looking forward to the springtime.

View attachment 290372

Obed....I bought a fireproof mat at one of the big box stores to go under my grill which is on my deck as is yours....If some errant ember should fall through you don't want your house burning down....I know you have that trex type deck but It will still burn ...right ? Steaks look good and you stole the grill ...but then you know that...:thumbsup:

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,483  
Hey Obed, in the picture of you working the grill is that wooden post behind you warped or do I need my eyes checked?
Probably. Most of the 4x4 pressure treated posts on our porch are twisted and warped to some degree. Have I mentioned that I really dislike PT wood?

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,484  
Obed....I bought a fireproof mat at one of the big box stores to go under my grill which is on my deck as is yours....If some errant ember should fall through you don't want your house burning down....I know you have that trex type deck but It will still burn ...right ? Steaks look good and you stole the grill ...but then you know that...:thumbsup:
Bob,
I'm not really sure how an "ember" could fall through and land on the deck. The cabinet under the grill is solid and would catch anything that "fell through".
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,485  
Bob,
I'm not really sure how an "ember" could fall through and land on the deck. The cabinet under the grill is solid and would catch anything that "fell through".
Obed

It is well worth using a fireproof mat. To me the big danger is a piece of meat with attached burning fat falling off the grill while I am turning the meat or doing some other manly chore which involves poking the meat with a sharp instrument.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,486  
It is well worth using a fireproof mat. To me the big danger is a piece of meat with attached burning fat falling off the grill while I am turning the meat or doing some other manly chore which involves poking the meat with a sharp instrument.

it would seem to me that with sufficient manliness one could merely bare one's manly chest and any fire would extinguish itself out of respect and awe. i am not that sort of person, sadly.

obed, i've been reading your thread for the last week or so. that was truly quite a ride and i thank you for having us all along. my wife and i are planning our retirement home and you've given us (she is reading it now as well) quite a bit of food for thought. well done.

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,487  
it would seem to me that with sufficient manliness one could merely bare one's manly chest and any fire would extinguish itself out of respect and awe. i am not that sort of person, sadly.

obed, i've been reading your thread for the last week or so. that was truly quite a ride and i thank you for having us all along. my wife and i are planning our retirement home and you've given us (she is reading it now as well) quite a bit of food for thought. well done.
dhagood,
I wish you good fortune with your retirement home project. Take your time and get good contractors. Go look at their work while the work is in progress. You can't tell much about the quality of the construction after the walls have been covered and painted. Also, I would recommend that you get yourself a copy of the code book. As the subs do their work, the code book will help you figure out what to look for. The workers will cut corners that you would never imagine.
Regards,
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,488  
My wife removed the cap rails from the porch so she could route out drip edges on the undersides. The drip edges will inhibit rain water from trying to get between the cap rail ant the top rail on which the cap rail sits. Removing and reinstalling the cap rails was not hard; we just had to unscrew and re-screw the screws. The long 12' cap rail for the deck railing warped significantly during the 3 weeks the cap rail was removed. I used a C-clamp to "unwarp" it. It had bowed in the middle by an inch. What surprised me is that the board was in our garage for a year and a half before we originally installed it. And it bowed an inch during the last 3 weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3612.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3614.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3615.JPG
    IMG_3615.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3619.JPG
    IMG_3619.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3620.JPG
    IMG_3620.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 118
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,489  
Obed...in the first picture of your porch and deck , right at the end it looks like there is a long post...
283104d1349368347-home-woods-img_3387.jpg
If you have no plans for that post ..You might want to consider one of those farm bells that are designed to be bolted to the top of a 4x4 or 6x6 post...we have one and they are neat as yard art but also functional...if you or a member of your family are out in the woods out of sight and are needed at home..they just ring the bell...it is loud and can be heard for a very long way....Your porch , deck...the whole house just looks great....You and your hard working wife and small engine mechanic are to be congratulated along with your little helper, cute daughter.

Bob,
A farm bell is a great idea. In fact, my grandad had a farm bell on our farm when I was growing up. I hope my dad still has it. I'll check with him. I would love to have my grandad's bell on that post! Now you've got my hopes up.
Obed
On Thanksgiving Day, we went to my dad's farm. My wife saw my grandad's large farm bell sitting on a stump. I asked my Dad if I could have it and he gave it to me. I'm like a kid on Christmas! It is soooo cool to be able to have a such a momento that is a link to my ancestry.

290650d1354126040-home-woods-img_3622.jpg

IMG_3648.JPG

My granddad loved that bell. My grandmother would ring the bell when lunch was ready. When we heard the bell, we would leave the fields or the barn and head to the house. The bell is painted red, white, and blue. My grandad painted the bell red, white, and blue in 1976 to commemorate the US Bi-centenial.

I'm looking forward to installing the bell on our porch post. Bob, thanks for the idea! We will want to re-paint the bell. I guess a paint shop will be able to tell us the best way it should be painted. I want to minimize rusting but don't want the paint to mess up the sound of the bell. Do any of you guys know how a bell should be painted?

Attachments

• IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 405
   / At Home In The Woods #4,490  
On Thanksgiving Day, we went to my dad's farm. My wife saw my grandad's large farm bell sitting on a stump. I asked my Dad if I could have it and he gave it to me. I'm like a kid on Christmas! It is soooo cool to be able to have a such a momento that is a link to my ancestry.

290650d1354126040-home-woods-img_3622.jpg

View attachment 290648

My granddad loved that bell. My grandmother would ring the bell when lunch was ready. When we heard the bell, we would leave the fields or the barn and head to the house. The bell is painted red, white, and blue. My grandad painted the bell red, white, and blue in 1976 to commemorate the US Bi-centenial.

I'm looking forward to installing the bell on our porch post. Bob, thanks for the idea! We will want to re-paint the bell. I guess a paint shop will be able to tell us the best way it should be painted. I want to minimize rusting but don't want the paint to mess up the sound of the bell. Do any of you guys know how a bell should be painted?

Obed, All we did with our bell was sand it real good and use mineral spirits to clean it up ...then we used Crylon spray primer and then the rattle can spray Crylon flat black paint...it is the new one that adheres to all surfaces.. Do you have the bracket that goes on your post for your bell to sit on...? I am glad you have that ..other than the sentimental value and enjoyment...if you or any member of your family are out in the woods and are needed back at the house....they will just ring the bell...it can be heard for a long distance...Please keep posting pictures after you instal it...:thumbsup:

OK ...I missed the 2nd picture and just saw it....You are good to go...you have the bracket for the post and the bell...I am excited for you...you and the family will really enjoy it...

Last edited: