At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,671  
We lucked out eh? I was all ready for the power to go out. Had the PTO generator hooked up to the Kioti & backed up by the basement.....not even a flicker.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,672  
We lucked out eh? I was all ready for the power to go out. Had the PTO generator hooked up to the Kioti & backed up by the basement.....not even a flicker.
Rick, I was wondering how you fared with the ice. You didn't mention anything in your "Log House Project begins" thread.

We were iced in Friday. I didn't attempt to go anywhere. I worked from home that day.

A couple years ago I left my neighborhood with ice on the roads and ended up in the ditch. I didn't damage the car; I just felt stupid.

2010-12-16_08-15-02_449.jpg 2010-12-16_08-18-58_791.jpg 2010-12-18_14-57-35_954.jpg

Two days later I got to fix my neighbor's mailbox.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,673  
Well Issues

We have been getting some "sand" like debris in our well water filter that is located in the basement. In the past, we have seen the filter clog if we watered the garden too much. However, this past week and a half, we have had to flush the filter 3 or 4 times. We haven't been using any outdoor water and we have had lots and lots of rain. Thus, we don't attribute the debris in the filter to lack of water in the well.

When the filter clogs, we get low water pressure at our faucets.

Filter when clogged:
IMG_0120.JPG

Getting ready to flush the filter into the bucket:
IMG_0121.JPG

Filter after flushing out the sand:
IMG_0123.JPG

Flushing out the filter is pretty easy. We just open a valve at the bottom of the filter assembly and flush the "sand" into a bucket.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,674  
Well Issues

We have been getting some "sand" like debris in our well water filter that is located in the basement. In the past, we have seen the filter clog if we watered the garden too much. However, this past week and a half, we have had to flush the filter 3 or 4 times. We haven't been using any outdoor water and we have had lots and lots of rain. Thus, we don't attribute the debris in the filter to lack of water in the well.

When the filter clogs, we get low water pressure at our faucets.

Filter when clogged:
View attachment 300022

Getting ready to flush the filter into the bucket:
View attachment 300023

Filter after flushing out the sand:
View attachment 300024

Flushing out the filter is pretty easy. We just open a valve at the bottom of the filter assembly and flush the "sand" into a bucket.

Obed ...when we built our house...which is so much like yours...our plumber put in 2 filters...ours looks just like yours except we have an additional filter holder and filter ...so there is filter unit #1 and filter unit #2 - I asked our plumber why 2 ? He said the first unit picks up the worst and the 2nd filter picks up the fines...I have to tell you..we change our filters every 6 months and the primary one has some grit in the bottom of the jar and the filter is gray....the secondary one has no grit in the jar and the filter is just slightly gray...

You might want to go to Lowes or HD and buy one more and add it...in line ..to what you have...it works for us..

/ At Home In The Woods #4,675  
I would say your filter is doing what its intended to do. Looks easy to service.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods #4,676  
Obed, at our last house we had to have a well drilled. They went 88' and hit plenty of water, no sulfer odor. Problem was it would test potable until we put a UV light on it. Second problem was the water carried sediment in it as well. Every 4-5 months I had to replace the cartridges in our filter. Seemed like a pain in the you know what at the time, but way better then having the driller come back and try another spot or deepen that one and case beyond the gravel/sand vein that was holding all the water. I certainly understand how it is frustrating to have well issues, good luck.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,677  
We were "iced in" too...I like;)

I can't remember and I'm too lazy to back-read you thread....how deep is the well and how deep did they set your pump...aaaand what was the GPM of the well?

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,678  
I can't remember and I'm too lazy to back-read you thread....how deep is the well and how deep did they set your pump...aaaand what was the GPM of the well?
Rick,
The well is 300 ft deep. The pump is set at 280 ft deep and is rated at 17 GPM.

We talked to the well driller and also to the pump installer. The well driller is major country and can be tough to understand. He said he had had several customers who are also reporting issues with sand/grit in their water. The well driller and the pump installer both said to watch it and if it continues, they recommend that the pump be raised 20 ft higher in the well.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,679  
Obed ...when we built our house...which is so much like yours...our plumber put in 2 filters...ours looks just like yours except we have an additional filter holder and filter ...so there is filter unit #1 and filter unit #2 - I asked our plumber why 2 ? He said the first unit picks up the worst and the 2nd filter picks up the fines...I have to tell you..we change our filters every 6 months and the primary one has some grit in the bottom of the jar and the filter is gray....the secondary one has no grit in the jar and the filter is just slightly gray...

You might want to go to Lowes or HD and buy one more and add it...in line ..to what you have...it works for us..
Bob,
At some point I want to replace the PVC pipes and valves near the filter with all copper. When I get around to that task, I may add a 2nd filter.

IMG_0124.JPG

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,680  
Obed, at our last house we had to have a well drilled. They went 88' and hit plenty of water, no sulfer odor. Problem was it would test potable until we put a UV light on it. Second problem was the water carried sediment in it as well. Every 4-5 months I had to replace the cartridges in our filter. Seemed like a pain in the you know what at the time, but way better then having the driller come back and try another spot or deepen that one and case beyond the gravel/sand vein that was holding all the water. I certainly understand how it is frustrating to have well issues, good luck.
Lee,
Since our filter is so easy to flush, cleaning it out every so often isn't a big deal as long as the sand isn't causing other problems (i.e. ruining our water heater, etc.).
Obed