At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,871  
brin,
Keep in mind that my forks are a little different than yours. Mine don't clamp on; they are attached to the FEL using a chain that is wrapped around the bucket to distribute the force on the bucket. The clamp on forks put all the force on one small place on the bucket instead of distributing the weight. I have never worried about bending my bucket with my chained on forks. I have found my FEL bucket is much stronger than my FEL's hydraulics.

Obed

Geeeez, I wish I would have thought of that before I bought my forks...Duh ! Maybe I can add some ratchet straps or chains to mine...Thanks Obed...

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,872  
Geeeez, I wish I would have thought of that before I bought my forks...Duh ! Maybe I can add some ratchet straps or chains to mine...Thanks Obed...
Bob,
Yours have the advantage of being a little easier to attach to the bucket. Just depends what your goals are. I have 3 forks so that I can carry brush. With only 2 forks, I had trouble keeping the brush from falling off the forks. Something you might consider is to get a third fork but make sure it is the kind that straps on with chains. You could then put the chain-on fork in the middle to help carry the load if you are going to move heavy logs. Or, you might see if the people who sold you the clamp-on forks also sell the chain-on forks. You could swap yours for clamp-on forks and only have to pay shipping. Just a thought.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,873  
Bob,
Yours have the advantage of being a little easier to attach to the bucket. Just depends what your goals are. I have 3 forks so that I can carry brush. With only 2 forks, I had trouble keeping the brush from falling off the forks. Something you might consider is to get a third fork but make sure it is the kind that straps on with chains. You could then put the chain-on fork in the middle to help carry the load if you are going to move heavy logs. Or, you might see if the people who sold you the clamp-on forks also sell the chain-on forks. You could swap yours for clamp-on forks and only have to pay shipping. Just a thought.

Obed

I bought them on ebay...so I will contact them and see if they will sell me one more fork...and I was thinking I could still use chains or ratchet straps even with the forks I have by going behind the clamp part on the top of the forks and around the forks on the bottom where they protrude from the fel bucket...that should work..worst that can happen is I will wear out some straps or chain....Thanks for tips Obed...

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,874  
My wife made a rack on which to hang our outdoor hand tools. I helped her drill the holes in the concrete and screw in the tapcon screws with our hammer drill. We put pressure treated spacers between the 2x4s and the concrete wall to keep the moisture off the 2Xs. I'm sure someone would comment about that if I didn't mention it.My wife did almost all the work.

The basement is much nicer now that everything is not sitting on the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2690.JPG
    IMG_2690.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 257
   / At Home In The Woods #3,875  
We put pressure treated spacers between the 2x4s and the concrete wall to keep the moisture off the 2Xs. I'm sure someone would comment about that if I didn't mention it.My wife did almost all the work.
:laughing: The TBN construction police getting to you, Obed? For something light duty and non-structural like that, it really doesn't matter...

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,876  
dstig1 said:
:laughing: The TBN construction police getting to you, Obed? For something light duty and non-structural like that, it really doesn't matter...
You may be correct on all accounts.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,878  
I evolved to a steel "Man Cage" since hauling heavy things up on top those wooden ones was not a good idea. The wood cage was good for keeping "the Man" in, but not designed for top loads.
I built the steel cage out of a tractor shipping crate that my dealer gave me FOC:
RoofDecking002.jpg

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,880  
M7, I get envious everytime I see all the stuff you make with your welder. I couldn't tell if your man-cage was welded or screwed together but it still reminded my of your welding projects.

You actually motivated me to check the local colleges a few weeks ago to see if I could find a beginning welding class. I struck out; all the classes I found were full-blown one year welding curriculum. I might look around some more. I thought I might take a class just to see if I would be interested enough to buy my own welder.

Obed