Athens 15' pull behind harrow

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
00303_1TiW2oSJ4OS_600x450.jpg00k0k_6xu8orPkpnD_600x450.jpgI'm going to look at a 15' Athens tandem disc harrow this weekend and I'm hoping this isn't a waste of time. The harrow is setup like a smoothing harrow with 2 axles angled in and 2 out, not like an offset. I hope that description is accurate, please correct me if I am wrong. The way I calculate it, with 16 disc per row, then the spacing would be about 11". I'm not sure if 11" is accurate or the harrow is likely 9" which would make the width about 12'. The guy said the discs are about 24", which they do not look that big in the pictures, and I'm not sure if his measurements are true. The discs look smooth. Now to my question, from what I have described and the vast knowledge of my fellow tbnet members, do you think my jd 4230 (100hp) ould pull it ok. I want a big disc, but I don't want to put unnecessary stress on the tractor. I'll try to post a pic of the harrow. I thought that maybe I could change the discs to 20" if necessary. Or adjust the angle to decrease the power necessary to move this thing.

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #2  
A 100hp tractor will pull it with power to spare, it sounds like you are describing a leveling harrow, probably adjustable.

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #3  
A 4230 should be able to pull this with out issues.

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #4  
Despite that not being an offset, but rather a tender disk harrow, it is a very heavy disk snot too much smaller than my land clearer uses for breaking up new soil. Looking at the frame parts, it puts all my f ours, including our offset disk, to shame. Depending on your soil type and a f you have the standard 2WD version of your tractor, it may be a good load., but you can always cheat a big t and lower the wheels enough to ease the pull. I'd check bearings, look for damaged bearing hangers, and make sure all the axle shaft nuts are tight.

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #5  
Athens makes very high quality implements. Nothing light weight.

A Disc Harrow with 22" or 24" diameter pans will cut very well and about 8" to 9" deep.

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #6  
It looks to be closer to a 12' than a 16' to me, but your 4230 should handle it fine. What transmission do you have (sycro, quad or power shift?

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow #7  
I think it's probably 24" pans, 9" spacing and probably 12 1/2' wide. I have a 9' Athens and pulled behind my 88 hp tractor it can be a load.

A lot will depend on your ground, I am dealing with clay/ wet conditions and sometimes it can act like an anchor! I have scrapers on mine and depending on your soil conditions you may need them also. The good news is usually just lowering the wheels can get you out of a jam. You won't be wanting for any more weight, that's for sure!

/ Athens 15' pull behind harrow
I have the syncro trans. With my other discs, I've always put them as deep as they can go, not knowing if this is correct or not. In typical farming practice, is tillage depth kept to a fixed point? I'm referring to a preplant secondary tillage for seed bed preparation and what depth is common, although I know there will be many different answers likely? I'm not growing for harvest or as income, but I do try to give it my best as that what keeps it fun. I usually have to make multiple passes to deal with reside and get the surface clean, which seems to result in a garden type tillage that is very deep in places and certainly not consistent overall. Thanks for the tips on the disc. My calculations came up with a disc width of about 12' also assuming the pans are spaced at 9". I know it needs work, I'm just not sure the extent of what it needs or if it's a deal breaker. He is asking 1600, but it's been for sale for a few months.