ATI grapple design flaw?

/ ATI grapple design flaw? #11  
I would guess that the cylinder mount is seeing more load than it can handle, but not gross overloading, causing fatigue failure. I think the old cylinder mount needs to be completely replaced. When you do that you need to "beef up" the surrounding area to aviod moving the problem to the next weak link. These are quick sketches. Old stuff needs to be cut off after carefull measurements are taken on hole location for the cylinder rod end. Add 3/8" plate to the existing thinner plate in the corner of the jaw. Add 1/2" or 5/8" plate at the right spacing for the cylinder rod end (probably 2.5 - 3" inside). drill the new holes in the new plates for the cylinder rod pin. A good quality hole saw will make a clean enough hole. additional gussets back the jaw behind the new plate wouldn't hurt either. If you need more help let me know. Grapplerepair1 is a back view of the grapple, grapplerepair2 is the side crossection.

Attachments

• GRAPPLEREPAIR1.pdf
    3.1 KB · Views: 284
  • GRAPPLEREPAIR2.pdf
    3.3 KB · Views: 158
   / ATI grapple design flaw?
marcel, thanks! I have to say, these discussion forums are the best! I'll run your description and rough sketches by my welder, and see if he is up for it. Given that a new claw will have the same design characteristics as my present broken one, I figure its worth it to try your suggestion.

/ ATI grapple design flaw? #13  
Jedjoe,

I have a new ATI grapple that just failed as yours did. I posted some pictures for you to compare with. I'm going to see if I can get my money back as I've only used it for about 2 hours.

In one of the pictures it looks like there is a bend in the cross tube but there isn't. It just looks that way in the photograph.

Have you come up with a fix yet?

Craig

Attachments

• CIMG0180.JPG
    CIMG0180.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 183
  • CIMG0181.JPG
    CIMG0181.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 165
  • CIMG0182.JPG
    CIMG0182.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 146