Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #31  
Detached garages, etc. make a lot of sense. However, in our area the zoning is very restrictive on added structures. My 2000 square foot pole barn is actually non-conforming on my 4 acres but is grandfathered in. A friend of mine had to design a covered walkway to his pole barn to get it permitted. However, he never got around to finishing the walkway.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #32  
:oops:
You are a engineer right ? I guess that's what I should've done for a living...
Yes, engineer, but with a few coincidental factors that allow us to afford more than expected. Not that we're living in a palace, but I will admit we have more than most.

Living in a region where pay is above average, and working in an industry where pay is higher than the average even for the region, and then buying a house in a township where housing and land cost is below average for the region, all adds up. We have also been lucky on timing and mortgage rates, both with regard to this house and the prior, although some planning went into making that luck for ourselves.

Oh, and on the garage thing... I take back what I said about having only a 6-car detached, if I were to build my own. If I were single, that'd surely be the way to go for me, but my wife likes the security of the attached garage. On the rare occasion I travel for business, she likes pulling into the garage and having the door close behind her, without having to walk outside.

I definitely agree with "no EV's in attached garage" for now, though. Hopefully that tech will get to a place where it's even safer than ICE's, as ICE's also catch fire in garages today. But for now, I don't think I'd be comfortable with any 2024 EV charging in my attached garage, while I sleep.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #33  
Also plan where you will have your workbench, and plan your length in consequence, lots of folks have their workbench at the end of the garage (in front of the door) and once your truck is in the bumper is against the workbench making it useless while you truck is in the garage.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #34  
Yes, engineer, but with a few coincidental factors that allow us to afford more than expected. Not that we're living in a palace, but I will admit we have more than most.

Living in a region where pay is above average, and working in an industry where pay is higher than the average even for the region, and then buying a house in a township where housing and land cost is below average for the region, all adds up. We have also been lucky on timing and mortgage rates, both with regard to this house and the prior, although some planning went into making that luck for ourselves.

Oh, and on the garage thing... I take back what I said about having only a 6-car detached, if I were to build my own. If I were single, that'd surely be the way to go for me, but my wife likes the security of the attached garage. On the rare occasion I travel for business, she likes pulling into the garage and having the door close behind her, without having to walk outside.

I definitely agree with "no EV's in attached garage" for now, though. Hopefully that tech will get to a place where it's even safer than ICE's, as ICE's also catch fire in garages today. But for now, I don't think I'd be comfortable with any 2024 EV charging in my attached garage, while I sleep.

That make sense, smart people find a way to be ''lucky'' you didn't have to explain yourself I am just jealous of all of your garage ;) but thanks for explaining. I also know you put the hours in plus you have all the liability associated with your title so you are worth your salary and you didn't get all this overnight. Also if I may add as I recall your wife is also a engineer and having to good income makes a big difference. (she probably deserve some credit 😉)

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #35  
In snow country an attached garage is a must have, in my opinion. Mine is oversized and has 8x12 doors, no issues getting any personal vehicle in/out. The detached shop has 10x10 doors, that's the minimum I would have for a shop.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #36  
I dont know this for a fact…but im guessing 70-80% of US single family, framed houses have an attached garage. Its the cheapest way to add a garage, so thats why developers love them.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #37  
Well, The question in the title kind of sums it up! Lets dig deeper.....

Say you have a full size truck and regardless if you live in the country or suburbia, your truck seems tight in your garage! I am looking for those folks who have trucks that manage to park in the garage! What size door will fit that 3500 chevy, or the 350 ford? I know that situations change when you own a dual rear wheel truck. However, it seems that garages are shrinking and trucks can't fit in there. What are your thoughts, suggestions? Do you live in a house that you gotta park it outside, or were forced to build a barn/shop to park your vehicle? I am thinking that (9' overhead and 8' wide "will fit" a full size truck? Is this too small....Or? 🤔

Pic is for reference:
My solution: the car goes in the attached garage. The truck goes in the carport next to the barn.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #38  
When i built my house in 1996, i made sure garage was overtall so i could use 8’ high doors. I have 1 - 16’ door and 1 - 8 foot wide door. I did ok with the height, but i should have designed it to use an 18’ and a 10’ wide door to fit modern rigs. Its plenty deep to allow full sized extended cab rig, but really not wide enough door wise. It only took me 28 years to drywall it. Did the drywall last winter. Its not too fancy, but i have a 30x40 and a 30x60 shop to work out of. This is strictly for rigs and wifes gardening junk.

20231208_140926.jpeg20231205_154939.jpeg20231208_140920.jpeg20231208_140930.jpeg20231208_140932.jpeg20231208_140941.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #39  
Also plan where you will have your workbench, and plan your length in consequence, lots of folks have their workbench at the end of the garage (in front of the door) and once your truck is in the bumper is against the workbench making it useless while you truck is in the garage.

Yep. Workbench or cabinets. Our 24' garage has both, which makes it impossible to park anything larger than a mid sized car/SUV in there.

They're already there. See Electric Car Fires: What You Should Know | Edmunds

As one of those says, EVs are novel so their fires get reported on while ICE car fires don't.

Of course you want a smoke detector between the garage and house even if you're not parking an EV in there.

I dont know this for a fact…but im guessing 70-80% of US single family, framed houses have an attached garage. Its the cheapest way to add a garage, so thats why developers love them.

It also takes less footprint on the lot. And it's convenient to have the garage attached.

/ Attached GARAGE (homeowner) thoughts #40  
Yep. Workbench or cabinets. Our 24' garage has both, which makes it impossible to park anything larger than a mid sized car/SUV in there.
We did something a big different, owing to the fact that I don't really work on cars in the attached garage.

Attached garage: Long counter down one side wall, with overhead cabinets, and a wall of under-counter refrigerators and freezers under the counter. Heater, toy closet (surf boards, beach chairs, rollerblades, etc.), bicycle rack and snow sled rack on opposite side wall. Our attached garage is more likely to be used for entertaining (rained-out BBQ or pool party) than working on cars, and those refrigerators are also our primary house overflow. One fridge is dedicated to beer.

Detached garage: Workbench down side wall adjacent to man door, woodworking machines on mobile bases stowed down center aisle and back wall, and tool chests, compressor, and arbor presses along other side wall. This is the main space for everything from working on tractors to building doors and windows for the house.

Shed: Storage for mower, tractor, implements, seed, fertilizers, etc. All seed kept in Rubbermaid trash cans with lids, to avoid attracting rodents.