Attaching PTO

/ Attaching PTO #1  

remington270

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota B2710
I recently took my bush hog off for another implement and I am now going to reattach the bush hog, but am having trouble with the PTO shaft hooking up with the tractor. All the dimensions are correct and the slip clutch is easily moveable when not slid over the end of the drive shaft on the tractor. The problem is I can't get the PTO to slide onto the tractor and click into place. There is no visible damage, and everything is relatively new. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

/ Attaching PTO #2  
There are a couple different pto designs, some are a thumb pin you need to push in, some you need to twist or push back a whole plastic end of the pto which is not so intuitive.

Are you lining up the cogs of the pto with the valleys of the tractor stub - you need to rotate the shaft up to 1/6 of a revolution to find the right mating to slip on.

Then you need to push in that little pin, or twist or push the collar so it slips all the way on.

A very new tractor and a new pto shaft might be kinda tight, or full of grime, and will slip better with a little grease or oil on it - messy, but will help.

--->Paul

Last edited:
   / Attaching PTO #3  
Depending on the safety shields hooking up the PTO shaft is a pain. I struggled with mine because I was trying to hold back the collar while pushing in. What I found is if I got the drive shaft as close to level as possible and aligned left to right you can just push on the collar and it will snap into place without to much headache. Keeping the collar and PTO shaft clean and greased is also important. Be patient it gets easier with repetetion.

/ Attaching PTO #4  
To repeat what Beltzington said, make sure your shaft and receiver are clean! Spray it down with WD40 and wipe...that should help.

/ Attaching PTO #5  
Most likely, the problem is you are not aligning the two ends. Trust me, many of us have been there.

What I do is just attach the bottom links, make sure the attachment is straight with the tractor and as level with the tractor as you can make it. For each of my attachments I have a rope with loops on the ends. Using the unattached top link of the attachment put one end of the rope thru the pin, then around the PTO shaft then thru the pin. Now the heavy PTO shaft is being support by the attachment and not me, is level with the PTO shaft on the tractor and I am not hitting my head on the top link. At least for me with my tractor OFF it is easier to turn the PTO shaft of the tractor a little until I get things lined up.

/ Attaching PTO #6  
All the other posters have good suggestions, and I'll add one more...
Use a rope or bungee cord (bungee works better because it's springy) to tie up the PTO drive shaft...bear some of the weight. I typically use the implement's 3PH frame.
The tractor's PTO Stub Shaft is chambered...you should be able to push the implement's drive shaft against that chamfer and hold it against the chamfer (the PTO drive shaft should just start on the chamfer). Hold the push pin down or collar locking sleeve back so there's no spring tension on the locking pins or balls.
With your free hand (that's the advantage of using the bungee), reach over and rotate the tractor's stub shaft...I doubt it takes much rotation. Once the PTO drive shaft starts moving on the tractor's stub shaft, keep pushing (toward the tractor) until the pins or balls lock into the stub shaft's groove.
It takes a lot longer to read what I just typed then to actually do the job.
The biggest aid is that bungee bearing the drive shaft's weight.

/ Attaching PTO #7  
I have a few of those collar style PTO couplings......and I hate them. I am going to try the "rope suspension" or bungee cord as suggested above next time I use 'em.

One thing I have learned is to get the PTO shaft and the Coupler C L E A N and lubed before even starting. I use a wire brush or an old paint brush to get the dirt off....then spray with penetrating oil. Pre-alignment is critical.

I think the collar style PTO coupler is the worst kind.....and the type you have to twist is especially hard to accomplish for us humans with only TWO hands! Supporting a shaft in an awkward position, while aligning a coupling and twisting a collar.....while pushing forward......arrrrrrrghhhhh.

/ Attaching PTO #8  
like real estate: location, location, location ...alignment must be on the money both horizontally AND vertically ...when alignment is just right, you should be able to push the shaft on w one hand and hold the collar back w the other hand...yes, bungee/rope support helps as does clean and lube, etc.

/ Attaching PTO #9  
and everything is relatively new.

^^^that could be the problem^^^

Oftentimes the paint on the parts will make the fit too tight. Clean it well, and if needed, remove the paint on the mating surfaces.

Ken

/ Attaching PTO #10  
Yes remove the paint, wash down with WD-40, relube lightly with grease, sopport it with bungee to take weight off of you, align correctly spin PTO shaft slightly with your hand, (engine off!) yes you are going to get greasy, hold your mouth right, cuss. It all helps. Practice doing it over and over, helps the most. I used to really fight it, then I started practicing, now I can do it without any trouble at all. Mine is the kind that leaves a nice divot in your thumb from pressing the button too long.:laughing: Good luck.

James K0UA