Attachment Sizes/Ratings

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #1  

BCMac

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3255, Massey Ferguson 35, Massey Ferguson 1080, Ford 8N, John Deere D110
I am looking for a few attachments for the tractor. Namely a box blade for driveway work and general leveling and a 3pt rear blade for snow removal.

I notice a lot of them mention for up to 25hp or 25-40hp etc. What is the purpose of these ratings? Would using one on a larger tractor cause issues? Or just not fit size wise? Or would my 80hp tractor just end up bending or breaking the blades?

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #2  
Blades rated for larger tractors are generally much stronger. I have gotten away with using light duty attachments, by being careful. I have also twisted a light grader blade badly after hooking a ledge. When it happened the tractor didn't bog down at all.
If you intend on working the attachment at all, I would suggest you stay away from the light duty stuff.

Bill

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #3  
You will also need to pay attention to whether the attachments are sized for Category 1 or Category 2 three point hitches. An implement that's rated for a 25 - 40 hp tractor will be have a Category 1 3 point hitch setup. Your 80hp tractor probably has a Category 2 three point hitch.

And, yes, as Bill said you can tear up equipment that's rated well below your tractor's size.

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings
Thanks guys. I assumed that would be case that the tractor would just bend the lighter duty stuff without skipping a beat.

And yes, my tractor is Cat 2, but I understand there's reducer bushings to take care of that.

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #5  
Yes, there are reducer bushings. And some implements, like my Gannon box blade, are category 1 but could handle a Cat 2 tractor. But most Cat 1 implements are not built that heavy.

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #6  
Rear Blades and especially Box Blades are dependent on weight to cut.

Buy Category 2 implements.

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #7  
For your size tractor, (80 hp) you need to figure at a bare minimum of 800lb+ implements for what you are looking at and really 1000lb+ implements would be much better.:thumbsup:

You may want to consider a land plane grading scraper (LPGS) for maintaining your drive. Much faster and easier than a box blade. ;)

Attachments

• P4260026.JPG
    P4260026.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 133
  • P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 145
  • PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 158
   / Attachment Sizes/Ratings #8  
Man MtnView, how many times have you posted those pics? (I'm not complaining).
Can't wait till I get my LPGS. Maybe this spring.........

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #9  
Man MtnView, how many times have you posted those pics? (I'm not complaining).
Can't wait till I get my LPGS. Maybe this spring.........

I know, I need new ones, but, I need time more than anything, that and some rain, no rain here in Southern California for quite some time now. :(

/ Attachment Sizes/Ratings #10  
BC- be careful with implement ratings, Often times they are for 2wd ratings. I think EA lists both 4wd and 2wd capacities(Atleast their extreme duty box blade did). I will also agree that some of the older cat 1 stuff was built heavy enough, but anything newer will need to be cat II for sure. The heavier implements also work better since out machines don't have any down pressure.